[comp.sys.att] 6300+: hardware going crazy???

aronov@acf4.UUCP (Boris Aronov) (09/10/87)

Subject: ATT 6300+: Funny hardware problems

I wonder if anyone can make any suggestions about the following behavior of
my ATT6300+:
	Once (ONLY once), it crashed without any visible reason and failed to
reboot after I reset it. Numerous attempts to reboot UNIX via 'reset' button
yielded a huge variety of different ROM diagnostics errors, some of which
are described below:
1. Memory test would show 896K instead of the 1024K I have in the machine.
2. Memory fault somewhere in low memory (after it gets past 256K), after
which it cannot find the hard disk drive (says 'Hard disk', but never
prints 'READY')
3. DMA Control Fail : 04 (this occurred only once...)
4. Memory fault in yet another part of memery (somewhere around 128K).

At some point I managed to go through the ROM diagnostics and run disk-based
diagnostics: it showed all systems are OK, except for memory parity errors.
Every time I would run the memory test, I would get a parity error in an
entirely different part of memory.

NOW for the funniest part: I ran the diagnostics once more, and it did NOT
find anything--memory faults or otherwise. Since that point I've been running
the machine without any problems whatsoever.

			WHAT'S GOING ON???

					Any comments would be appreciated.

					Boris.
					...cmcl2!acf4!aronov
					aronov@acf4.nyu.edu
					aronov.acf4@nyu.csnet

dave@westmark.UUCP (09/13/87)

In article <13050017@acf4.UUCP>, aronov@acf4.UUCP (Boris Aronov) writes:
> Subject: ATT 6300+: Funny hardware problems
> I wonder if anyone can make any suggestions about the following behavior of
> my ATT6300+:
> yielded a huge variety of different ROM diagnostics errors, some of which
> 1. Memory test would show 896K instead of the 1024K I have in the machine.
> 2. Memory fault somewhere ...
> ... cannot find the hard disk ...
> Every time I would run the memory test, I would get a parity error in an
> NOW for the funniest part: I ran the diagnostics once more, and it did NOT
> find anything--memory faults or otherwise. Since that point I've been running
> the machine without any problems whatsoever.

My 6300PLUS used to power itself down (everything except the fan)
and would then come up in a strange mode with the hard disk
invisible and the memory full of errors, etc.  Powering it down for
about 30 seconds left all systems working fine.  The power supply
would crowbar (about once every other month) and if it was powered
down for a second or so, it would come up with strange voltages
where +12 belonged.  Power it down for a longer time, all is well.
Finally, I got tired of this behavior, and called AT&T's hotline.
They recommended replacing the power supply, and advised that a new
model is available.  My PLUS came (2 years ago) with a model LA16
power supply.  The new model is called LA16B.  I have had the new
one installed for a month or so, with no problems, so far.

To get the new power supply, call AT&T National Parts Sales (800 222
PART) and if your machine is out of warranty, give them a credit
card number.  The new supply costs $100 with the old one in
exchange.
--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		A node for news.