[comp.sys.att] power interrupts on 3B1s

lj@spdcc.COM (Len Jacobs) (09/15/87)

I recently had a power outage while running a 3B1.  No UPS on hand and the
system would not come back up from hard disk or floppy.  The floppy would not
read at all.  Technician came and fixed all by replacing the motherboard.
No hard errors (or soft) on the hard disk, although the super block was
blown and I needed to reformat the hard disk.

The recommendation is of course for a UPS.  Supposedly no "trapping" is done
on power outages.  Does anyone else have experience or comments on this?

Len Jacobs

rab@bilanc.UUCP (Richard A. Bilancia) (09/15/87)

In article <256@spdcc.COM>, lj@spdcc.COM (Len Jacobs) writes:

> I recently had a power outage while running a 3B1.  No UPS on hand and the
> system would not come back up from hard disk or floppy.  The floppy would not
> read at all.  Technician came and fixed all by replacing the motherboard.

What did they charge?

> No hard errors (or soft) on the hard disk, although the super block was
> blown and I needed to reformat the hard disk.
>
> The recommendation is of course for a UPS.  Supposedly no "trapping" is done
> on power outages.  Does anyone else have experience or comments on this?

At 12:41 PM on Sept 2nd while talking on a phone connected to my AT&T 7300,
a direct lightning strike hit the roof of my residence (my office is in my
home).

I have quite a bit of equipment besides my 7300, but the 7300 was damaged the
most.  I had a small surge protector as well as a Backup Power Supply (BPS)
that did no good, but with a direct strike probably nothing would have.

The 7300 motherboard will cost $3600 to replace (w/o an exchange so the
insurance company can have the old one) and the AT&T repair center has quoted
$995 (full retail) for a replacement Voice Power Board.
Any sugestions for alternative sources?

What's really frustrating is that this is our second direct lightning hit!
The same thing happened three years ago, also in September!

I guess that it's about time to look into lightning rods and/or lightning
arrestors -- anyone out there know anything about them?

BTW - This posting is being made via a new 3B1 purchased at the closeout
prices -- now all I need to do is hassle with the insurance company!

Rich
---
"Adversity is the crucible from which greatness is forged." - Ken Baker
  / _  \     / _  \       / _ \         Richard A. Bilancia
 / / \_/    / / \_/   _   \ \\/         Computer Guidance & Support
/ /        / /  _    | |   \ \          P. O. Box 620127
\ \   _    \ \ | \  | + |   \ \         Littleton, Colorado  80162
 \ \_/ \    \ \_| \  |_|  /\_| \        voice: (303) 973-4035
                                        ihnp4!sys1!bilanc!rab
Multi-User Accounting Solutions		attmail!bilanc!rab