[comp.sys.att] WIN TCP/IP

stokes@udiego.UUCP (09/01/87)

There was a recent posting to comp.sources of a 3bnet print
spooler (very nicely done by John Hayes, sdcsvax!hayes) but
for those of you who got a copy of WIN TCP/IP there is a
simple way to spool files.

Lets say you want to print local.file on the printer attached
to rem3b2.

		remsh rem3b2 lp < local.file

This works very well and is only slightly cumbersome. The TCP/IP
is much faster than setting up uucp/uux to do the same thing and
you get the 'file spooled' message back very quickly.

The only problem I can see is that someone could send an intensive job
(troff anyone?) to a remote machine and bog others down.

Anyone else using AT&T WIN TCP/IP? Supposedly (one passage in small
print) the TCP/IP and 3bnet are compatable and will run at the same time
(but you end up with 8,432.5 daemons running).

This isthe first software that AT&T is marketing that really impresses
me!

--
David Stokes                   "USD where the future is tomorrow
Academic Computing Department   and today is slightly behind schedule"

twh@mibte.UUCP (Tim Hitchcock) (09/02/87)

Does WIN TCP/IP run on DOS PC's ?  If so, on what board ?
Where would I get the board and the software ?

Thanks so much,

Tim Hitchcock

cac@drutx.ATT.COM (ConkeyCA) (09/02/87)

in article <417@udiego.UUCP>, stokes@udiego.UUCP (David M. Stokes) says:
> Anyone else using AT&T WIN TCP/IP? Supposedly (one passage in small
> print) the TCP/IP and 3bnet are compatable and will run at the same time
> (but you end up with 8,432.5 daemons running).
>
> This isthe first software that AT&T is marketing that really impresses
> me!
>

> --
> David Stokes                   "USD where the future is tomorrow
> Academic Computing Department   and today is slightly behind schedule"
> University of San Diego

We have a network of 10 3b2's (plus several Sun's, H.P's, ect and a Vax 11/780)
all running on top of AT&T WIN TCP/IP.
We also have set up our print operations using the remsh and rcp commands
to our Computer Center Vax. This gives us access to the Comp. Center printers.
For Text format jobs on the Vax, we set it up as follows:

		rcp Text.job vax:/tmp/text.job
		remsh vax formatter /tmp/text.job      (formatter = troff, nroff, ect)
		rcp vax rm /tmp/text.job

We've had 100% reliability so far.

Curtis Conkey
AT&T Information Systems
Denver, Colorado

honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (09/10/87)

it's close ... but not quite all there.  some bugs:

o	the telnet client hangs when run from a layers layer.
o	the tcp server is sloooow -- telnet to a 3b2 running
	win tcp/ip and "it's like not being there."
o	there's some bizarre process interaction that i haven't
	been able to diagnose, preventing me from running a
	uucp server.

the lack of a domain name server is also a hindrance.

on the other hand, the rest of the supplied utilities work, and it
wasn't too hard to get ping and a uucp client to work.

if i could, i'd try the lachman version, but their pricing policy
precludes that tack.

	peter

pwy@pyuxe.UUCP (Peyton Yanchurak) (09/13/87)

In article <837@umix.cc.umich.edu>, honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) writes:
> it's close ... but not quite all there.  some bugs:
>
> o	the telnet client hangs when run from a layers layer.
> o	the tcp server is sloooow -- telnet to a 3b2 running
> 	win tcp/ip and "it's like not being there."
> o	there's some bizarre process interaction that i haven't
> 	been able to diagnose, preventing me from running a
> 	uucp server.
>
> the lack of a domain name server is also a hindrance.
>
> on the other hand, the rest of the supplied utilities work, and it
> wasn't too hard to get ping and a uucp client to work.
>
> if i could, i'd try the lachman version, but their pricing policy
> precludes that tack.

There have been several versions of WIN TCP/IP for the 3B2 distributed
as either production releases, controlled introduction releases
of beta releases.

The production version of STREAMS based  WIN TCP/IP (known
as Release 2.1) was announced a couple a weeks ago as part
of AT&Ts big product announcement (386 based PC, 3B2/500 and the 3B4000).
Are the above problems part of the new 2.1 Release or are
they refering to the 2.0 beta STREAMS release or the eariler non
STREAMS release.  I know there were some problems with the earlier
releases, but I was hoping they would be corrected in the 2.1 release.

				Peyton Yanchurak
				Bellecore
				pyuxe!pwy

mm8s+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Meyer) (09/14/87)

>>it's close ... but not quite all there.  some bugs:

>>o	the telnet client hangs when run from a layers layer.
There is a fix for this, call the AT&T hotline.  I reported this a few months
ago and got a very friendly, quick response from AT&T.

>>o	the tcp server is sloooow -- telnet to a 3b2 running
	win tcp/ip and "it's like not being there."
Thats not been my experience.  I use my 3b2's quite a lot and only ever via a
telnet connection.  I've never been upset with the response.

>>the lack of a domain name server is also a hindrance.
I agree ABSOLUTELY with this, it would make my life easier.

--Mike Meyer
Statistics, Carnegie-Mellon U.

hayes@thor.ucsd.edu (James Hayes) (09/15/87)

Michael Meyer writes:

>>>o	the tcp server is sloooow -- telnet to a 3b2 running
>	win tcp/ip and "it's like not being there."
>Thats not been my experience.  I use my 3b2's quite a lot and only ever via a
>telnet connection.  I've never been upset with the response.

If you run rwhod and routed, on a large net, your poor 3b2 will sink.  Rwhod
barely works to begin with, and brings the poor ol' user level TCP/IP
to its knees.

Rumor has it that *REAL* TCP/IP has been incorporated into STREAMS at the
kernel level.  Anybody know?

Jim Hayes, University of California at San Diego.

BITNET: hayes%sdcsvax@WISCVM.BITNET
ARPA:	hayes@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
UUCP:   {pick one close to berkeley}!sdcsvax!hayes

honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (09/17/87)

i gather my problem is that i'm running 1.1, not 2.1.

	peter