[comp.sys.att] ATT6300/BASIC timer problem

E8D@PSUVM.BITNET (09/14/87)

my 6300 (minus).  I'm calling it in a loop to control my Metrabyte data
aquisition board (which comes with an assembly language routine callable
from basic).  At seemingly random times I get values that are in error.
the values (in seconds past midnight) go greater than 86400 (the number
of seconds in a day.)
    I'm using ATT dos 3.1 and ROM BIOS 1.21 if that makes any difference.
the error occurs with GWBASIC and IBM Basic Compiler.  I haven't been able
to duplicate it on an IBM AT but maybe I just got lucky.  On my 6300 the
error occurs 1 to approx 6 times a day.
    Any suggestions?  Could I be trying to read the clock as it is being
updated?  Am I correct that this has nothing to do with the battery-clock
since the machine is running continuously?  Is there a better way to get the
"real time"?  Any ideas would be appreciated.
-------
Disclaimer: Sorry about the spelling.

  Evan Dresel
  Dept. of Geochemistry                             E8D @ PSUVM (bitnet)
  228 Deike Bldg.               ...!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!e8d (uucp <-->
  Penn State University                                 bitnet gateway)
  University Park, PA  16802        e8d%psuvm.bitnet@wiscvm.arpa  (arpa)
  (814) 865-1125

jimx@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Harris) (09/17/87)

In article <20117E8D@PSUVM>, E8D@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
> my 6300 (minus).  At seemingly random times I get values that are in error.
> the values (in seconds past midnight) go greater than 86400 (the number
> of seconds in a day.)
>     I'm using ATT dos 3.1 and ROM BIOS 1.21 if that makes any difference.
                                         ^^^^

>   Evan Dresel

There is a bug in the 1.21 ROMS that causes these bad timer values.  This
has reportedly been fixed in the 1.43 ROMS.  The new ROMs have many other
features, as well, from support for a wider variety of hard disks to
light pen support, and (the ever popular) many, many more, too numerous
to mention here.

We experienced the same problem, but haven't seen it since replacing our
1.21s.  We ordered the ROMs from one of the following numbers (they all
should work, but I would suggest trying them in the order given):

		1. 800-222-PART
		2. 800-922-0354
		3. 800-544-8494

Post a note if these don't work, and I'll try to find another number.

Good Luck.

Jim Harris
ihlpa!jimx