[comp.sys.att] C-Kermit on the UNIXpc

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (06/13/87)

Greetings,

My question is regarding using C-Kermit on the 7300.
I have version 4D(060), and it simply doesn't work.
The UNIXpc has an internal modem which you talk to
using ioctl calls.  I also dialed into my system
from work, and tried to transfer a file, but that
wouldn't work either (this could be a problem with
the network, I haven't had time to figure it out).
But anyway, has anybody had any luck with C-Kermit
on the 7300?  Does anybody have a version with changes
made to use the 7300 internal modem?

Dave Arnold

UUCP:	seismo!uunet!arnold!dave
	or
	attmail!arnold!dave

leonard@acf4.UUCP (06/15/87)

>My question is regarding using C-Kermit on the 7300.
>I have version 4D(060), and it simply doesn't work.
>The UNIXpc has an internal modem which you talk to
>using ioctl calls.  I also dialed into my system
>from work, and tried to transfer a file, but that
>wouldn't work either (this could be a problem with
>the network, I haven't had time to figure it out).
>But anyway, has anybody had any luck with C-Kermit
>on the 7300?  Does anybody have a version with changes
>made to use the 7300 internal modem?

>Dave Arnold

I have been using an old version  of C-kermit (4C(057)) for
about 6 months.  It works fine. I do use a kinda kludgy way
to dial out: I use the ATT telephone manager program to dial out,
then open up a Unix window, and connect with Kermit.  I compiled
kermit for SYSIII/V generic, so it doesn't seem to use lock files
which is OK with me, since it's a single user machine.

/Shanna Leonard

New York University
ARPA: leonard@acf4.nyu.edu

richter@randvax.UUCP (06/20/87)

In article <109@arnold.UUCP> dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
>My question is regarding using C-Kermit on the 7300.
>I have version 4D(060), and it simply doesn't work.
>Does anybody have a version with changes
>made to use the 7300 internal modem?

I second the request, and please send info to the net rather than
just e-mailing to Dave.  I'm sure lots of folks are interested!

				- Susan
				richter@rand-unix.ARPA

chute@chutepc.UUCP (Chris Chute MD) (06/21/87)

  This is getting to be something of a ritual, my replying to this kermit
issue.
   I have a kermit tailer to use the dial(3c) internal modem device on the
UNIXpc.  It ran wonderfully under versions 2.0 and 3.0 of the operating
system.  Version 3.5 has done it in, I cannot get it to successfully dial
(bables about error -6, "line problem (open() failure).")  It is a some what
old version, labeled 4C(054) 25 Jun 85.
   I would be happy to send this to any and all interested.  I have taken the
suggested hint and dialed via the Phone manager, rm /usr/lib/LCK..., and just
jumping onto /dev/ph1.
Cheers,
Chris Chute M.D.			UUCP: ...!harvard!hscfvax!chute OR
Harvard School of Public Health		UUCP: ...!ethos!chutepc!chute
Department of Epidemiology		Voice:   (617)732-1480
677 Huntington Ave			Data:    (617)732-1843
Boston, MA 02115I

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (07/21/87)

Hello again,

Here's another kermit question:

Simply:  Has anybody ever got any version of C-kermit to work in
remote mode?  When I do so, the remote device name is set to /dev/tty
and the baud rate is set to -1, and it just doesn't work.
I haven't had the time to figure out what's going on, and I need this badly.

The modifications for using the internal modem are trival, I have
done that one.

I vote for a collective effort to get C-Kermit working on the UNIXpc
and making it part of the C-Kermit distribution.  Anybody know what
Frank DeCruz's E-mail address is?

dave@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (Dave Marquardt) (07/21/87)

In article <127@arnold.UUCP> dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
>I vote for a collective effort to get C-Kermit working on the UNIXpc
>and making it part of the C-Kermit distribution.  Anybody know what
>Frank DeCruz's E-mail address is?

I believe it's SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDUNompompop

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (09/19/87)

A working version of C-Kermit is available for the UNIXpc on the BBS
running on my system.  The data line phone number is (714) 458-6563.
Please be sure to leave your correct name, and telephone number.
If you are interested in a uucp connection to site arnold, and a possible
unix-pc newsgroup feed, please leave a message stating so.

--
Name:		Dave Arnold
USmail:		26561 Fresno, Mission Viejo, Ca, 92691 USA