[comp.sys.att] using rn though /dev/ph?

ken@marge.UUCP (Ken Tobias) (09/09/87)

Has anyone successfully used rn from a remote through the on board modem?
I get an error that says "Can't open /dev/tty".  I found that and added a
perror which turned up an error of "Device busy".  Has anyone else had this
problem?  According to the manual, this error doesn't apply here at all.

--
Ken Tobias                                     "Damn Turtles!!..."
marge!ken@nrcvax             -or-              ken@dhw68k.CTS.COM

dmk@dmk3b1.UUCP (David Keaton) (09/11/87)

In article <738@marge.UUCP> ken@marge.UUCP (Ken Tobias) writes:
>Has anyone successfully used rn from a remote through the on board modem?
>I get an error that says "Can't open /dev/tty".  I found that and added a
>perror which turned up an error of "Device busy".  Has anyone else had this
>problem?  According to the manual, this error doesn't apply here at all.

I have the same problem (I'm running the 3.5 os), but I haven't found
a solution either.
--
					David Keaton
					dmk%dmk3b1@uunet.uu.net

lenny@quincy.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (09/11/87)

|In article <738@marge.UUCP>, ken@marge.UUCP (Ken Tobias) writes:
|> Has anyone successfully used rn from a remote through the on board modem?
|> I get an error that says "Can't open /dev/tty".  I found that and added a
|> perror which turned up an error of "Device busy".  Has anyone else had this
|> problem?  According to the manual, this error doesn't apply here at all.
|>
|> --
|> Ken Tobias                                     "Damn Turtles!!..."
|> marge!ken@nrcvax             -or-              ken@dhw68k.CTS.COM

Let me know!  I have the same problem, although I haven't investigated
the source ...
						-Lenny

--
Lenny Tropiano               ...seismo!uunet!swlabs!godfre!quincy!lenny  -or-
American LP Systems, Inc.           ...cmcl2!phri!gor!helm!quincy!lenny  -or-

dbw@mtunk.ATT.COM (d.b.wood) (09/12/87)

In UNIX PC 3.5 kernel the /dev/tty code is broken in that
it won't let you open it more than once (as I recall from
the last round of discussion).  And as I recall, in 3.51
this is fixed.  (verify, folks closer!)
Dave Wood

brant@manta.UUCP (09/15/87)

In article <25@mtunk.ATT.COM> dbw@mtunk.UUCP (d.b.wood) writes:
[that he thinks the problem with the /dev/tty driver in 3.5 is
 fixed in 3.51]

The answer is no--I have rn running on my 3.51 3B1, and I get the same
error when I try to use it over ph1: "Can't open /dev/tty".

--
Brant Cheikes
ARPA: brant@linc.cis.upenn.edu

dpw@unisec.UUCP (09/21/87)

In article <143@manta.UUCP> brant@manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) writes:
>In article <25@mtunk.ATT.COM> dbw@mtunk.UUCP (d.b.wood) writes:
>[that he thinks the problem with the /dev/tty driver in 3.5 is
> fixed in 3.51]

>The answer is no--I have rn running on my 3.51 3B1, and I get the same
>error when I try to use it over ph1: "Can't open /dev/tty".

This is true, but if you get FIXDISK 2 from the Hot Line it will cure
the problem for 3.5.  It is to bad that they didn't fix it as well in 3.51.

--
Darryl Wagoner
UniSecure Systems, Inc.; 		dpw@unisec.usi.com