[comp.sys.att] more UNIXpc uucp problems

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (09/17/87)

I am posting this question to comp.sys.att (my unix-pc feed is uncertain
at the moment).

Anyway my problem has do to with uuxqt getting started by uucico when
a uuxqt is already running.  The scenario is this:

1.	A get a large batched, compressed news feed (several 50k+ files)
2.	OK (conversation complete)
3.	uucico kick off uuxqt, and rnews starts processing work.
4.	Then, sometimes, when another uucico finishes (mail comes in,
	whatever), another instance of uuxqt starts up.  This kills
	my system, and causes it to forever trash (2 rnews, 2 unbatch, 2
	uncompress running all at the same time).  The LCK.XQT file does
	exist in the spool area.

Anybody have similar problems?
How can I solve this problem?

Any help would be MOST appreciated!  If my scerario explanation is unclear
I will clarify.
--
Name:		Dave Arnold
USmail:		26561 Fresno, Mission Viejo, Ca, 92691 USA

dmk@dmk3b1.UUCP (David Keaton) (09/21/87)

In article <157@arnold.UUCP> dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
>Anyway my problem has do to with uuxqt getting started by uucico when
>a uuxqt is already running.
> . . .
>Anybody have similar problems?
>How can I solve this problem?

     Yes, I used to have the same trouble.  The problem is that LCK
files over an hour old are disregarded (that's in case something crashed
without deleting its lock files).  After I got uucp running reliably
enough that I trusted the lock files, I put the following line in my
/usr/lib/crontab.
0 * * * * touch -c /usr/spool/uucp/LCK*

     That solved the problem.  Now if any spurious lock files are left
lying around, I will have to delete them by hand.  But that hasn't
happened on my Unix PC at all, unlike several BSD systems I've dealt
with.
--
					David Keaton
					dmk%dmk3b1@uunet.uu.net