[comp.sys.att] Umodem file receiving on UNIX-PC

marc@aplvax.UUCP (Marcus H. Gates) (09/21/87)

     I have had my 7300 for two months, running 3.5 r2 software. When I
got it I was able to transfer large files from my VAX (4.3BSD) using the
ATE "receive umodem file" function.  Lately, however, the transfers ALWAYS
fail after 18 blocks.  What could have changed? The vax has not changed, so
I don't think it is the culprit, but, I have not knowingly changed any
configuration files on the 7300. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
If it wasn't so reliable (always failing at the same # of records) I might
suspect noisy phone lines or something.  I have tried tranferring various
file formats (tar images, plain text etc.) so I don't think the contents
of the file are to blame either.  Any help would be greatly appreciated,
it is very frustrating not being able to transfer files easily, especially
since it worked at the start.
    It was a pleasant surprise that I could create tar files on the vax
and unpack them on the 7300. Makes it simple to transfer lots of files
in a single transfer.
--
				marc gates
				johns hopkins applied physics lab, laurel, md

jhc@mtune.ATT.COM (Jonathan Clark) (09/22/87)

In article <750@aplvax.UUCP> marc@aplvax.UUCP (Marcus H. Gates) writes:
>     I have had my 7300 for two months, running 3.5 r2 software. When I
>got it I was able to transfer large files from my VAX (4.3BSD) using the
>ATE "receive umodem file" function.  Lately, however, the transfers ALWAYS
>fail after 18 blocks.  What could have changed?

In umodem transfers the blocks are numbered in the header in binary.

19 decimal == 23 octal == ^S.

Somehow your connection has changed from one with no flow control to one
which has XON/XOFF flow control. Whatever's in the connection sees the ^S
and decides that it has been flow controlled off, never to start again.

umodem, like vanilla (non-BSD) uucp, doesn't work over data channels which
have in-band (XON/XOFF) flow control!
--
Jonathan Clark
[NAC,attmail]!mtune!jhc

The Englishman never enjoys himself except for some noble purpose.