[comp.sys.att] Disabling PC 6300 video

bill@ssbn.UUCP (Bill Kennedy) (09/16/87)

There has been a fair amount of discussion about using different video
cards in the PC 6300 and PC 6300 PLUS.  Excuse if this has been posted
before, I haven't seen it.

You can disable the video card on a PC 6300/PC 6300 PLUS by making up a
header to replace the address decode IC.  This is done by connecting the
following pins together on the header:
3 to 8 to 11 to 14
6 to 7
Then replace the 74LS00 IC at location 6H on the display controller (that
is slightly up and to the left of the power connections at the center of
the board.  The wiring should look like this:

 7   6   5   4   3   2   1
 |   |           |
 +---+           |

 +-----------+---+-------+
 |           |           |
 8   9  10  11  12  13  14

Note that these instructiona apply to the P4 display controller.  This just
kills the address decode so that you can use a different video card.  There
is no reason it shouldn't work fine under DOS, Simul-Task functions for The
Office will probably be quite different.
--
Bill Kennedy  {cbosgd | ihnp4!petro | sun!texsun!rrm}!ssbn!bill

post@whuts.UUCP (MILARA) (09/21/87)

Would someone that has the source for the patch that will change
that bloody annoying "\" to a much more convenient "/" in DOS. I'll
be eternally greatfull!

					Doug Donahue
					ihnp4!hlwpf!drd

rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) (09/23/87)

In article <2898@whuts.UUCP>, post@whuts.UUCP (MILARA) writes:

> Would someone that has the source for the patch that will change
> that bloody annoying "\" to a much more convenient "/" in DOS. I'll
> be eternally greatfull!
>
> 					Doug Donahue
> 					ihnp4!hlwpf!drd

You better watch out, some programs use the "\" automatically in thier
paths and if you have switched them, these programs will fail.

Russ Sharples
homxc!rps

NOTE:

The above in NO WAY reflects the opinions of AT&T.
These opinions are my own and the results of un-scientific and
highly irregular analysis methods.

psfales@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Pete Fales) (09/25/87)

In article <1384@homxc.UUCP>, rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) writes:
> In article <2898@whuts.UUCP>, post@whuts.UUCP (MILARA) writes:> >
> > Would someone that has the source for the patch that will change
> > that bloody annoying "\" to a much more convenient "/" in DOS. I'll
> > be eternally greatfull!
>
> You better watch out, some programs use the "\" automatically in thier
> paths and if you have switched them, these programs will fail.

Once you have turned off / as the switch character (several ways to do
this) both / and \ are valid as path separators, so programs that
continue to use \ will normally work fine.  There are still a few
things to watch out for though:

- Many batch files use commands with command switches given by / (e.g.
DIR /W, FORMAT /S).  This will not work unless they are changed to
DIR -W, etc.

- Programs such as editors that allow you to spawn a DOS "subshell"
generally work by internally executing "COMMAND.COM /C" This may present
a problem unless the program is patched.

- If you create a DOS BACKUP without the standard switch character, the
backup will be unusable by the DOS RESTORE.

- There may be other problems as well, but I find the benefits of being
able to use the same kinds of paths on DOS and UNIX to overshadow any
disadvantages.

--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpe!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784