[comp.sys.att] pcal

brown@cs.rochester.edu (Chris Brown) (09/26/87)

 I read the posting about the "invisible" pcal and pcal.hlp with interest.
 I understand that pcal was going to be mailed to me by ATT, so far haven't
 seen it.  I'd like to try pcal but am a bit of naive user.  Looks like
 it might be easy to "install" by editing the Office file in /usr/bin/ua/lib/..
 or whatever.  But it'd be pure extrapolation and guesswork on my part.
 I'm a bit of a naive user, and when as root I got ignored by lp when I
 tried to print pcal.hlp I started wondering what I was up against.
 Is it simple to make pcal work from the office given the state that 3.51
 is delivered in, and if so how do I do it?  Replies to net or
 brown@cs.rochester.edu if you can help.  Thanks!

 Chris Brown

kathy@bakerst.UUCP (09/27/87)

In article <2669@sol.ARPA> brown@cs.rochester.edu (Chris Brown) writes:

> I'm a bit of a naive user, and when as root I got ignored by lp when I
> tried to print pcal.hlp I started wondering what I was up against.

The problem is that lp can't read in the /etc/fixes directory.
There are several ways you can get that file printed out, the simplest
probably being to cat it as root and pipe the output to lp.  There
been a discussion going on somewhere about lp that mentions some
other ways.              cat FILE | lp

> Is it simple to make pcal work from the office given the state that 3.51
> is delivered in, and if so how do I do it?

Several people have been wondering aloud about this in unix-pc.general, too.
I'm still on 3.5, but the following - or something similar - should work.
Give it a try:

1.  Put pcal in /usr/bin and pcal.hlp in /usr/lib/ua, permissions 755.

2.  In your /usr/lib/ua/Office file, add an entry:

	Name=Calendar
	Default = Open
	Open=EXEC -d /usr/bin/pcal -c
	Help=EXEC -d /usr/bin/uahelp -h /usr/lib/ua/ua.hlp -t Calendar

3.  In your /usr/lib/ua/Preferences file, add an entry:

	Name=Calendar
	Open=EXEC -d /usr/bin/pcal -p
	Help=EXEC -d /usr/bin/uahelp -h /usr/lib/ua/ua.hlp -t Calendar

Kathy Vincent ------> Home: {ihnp4|mtune|codas|ptsfa}!bakerst!kathy
              ------> AT&T: {ihnp4|mtune|burl}!wrcola!kathy