[comp.sys.att] UNIX PC wierd programs?!

lenny@quincy.UUCP (09/23/87)

Recently there has been some discussion on "pcal" (CALENDAR 3.0) that
was hidden in /etc/fixes directory.  Well I found I even more mysterious
oddity!

/usr/bin/.!.   <-- note this is any executable.  Run it you will get a
laugh?  Now explain why it is here?  Why the list of people /usr/installed/.list
yet again another hidden file.  See what a:

	$ find / -name .* -print

Will do!!

						-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano               ...seismo!uunet!swlabs!godfre!quincy!lenny  -or-
American LP Systems, Inc.           ...cmcl2!phri!gor!helm!quincy!lenny  -or-

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (09/25/87)

In article <53@quincy.UUCP> lenny@quincy.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>Recently there has been some discussion on "pcal" (CALENDAR 3.0) that
>was hidden in /etc/fixes directory.  Well I found I even more mysterious
>oddity!
>
>/usr/bin/.!.   <-- note this is any executable.  Run it you will get a
>laugh?  Now explain why it is here?  Why the list of people
>/usr/installed/.list yet again another hidden file.  See what a:
>
>	$ find / -name .* -print
>
>Will do!!

Well, .!. (besides its graphic symbology) shows a list of the original Safari 4
team members.  It was hacked in late in the original development cycle, and
somehow got past the AT&T censors (if there are any, I don't know anything
about AT&T Quality Control).  It's been just quietly sitting there since at
least release 2.0.

.list is data for .!.

It's kind of an in joke.  I only know about it because one of my very best
friends is on the list.

I generally change .list because of another in-joke, but you can safely just
delete both files.  BTW you'll see what a crude hack .!. is from the state
it leaves your console in.

--

Kevin O'Gorman ( kevin@kosman ) Vital Computer Systems, Oxnard, CA  93035

arens@vaxa.isi.edu (Yigal Arens) (09/28/87)

In article <53@quincy.UUCP> lenny@quincy.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>Recently there has been some discussion on "pcal" (CALENDAR 3.0) that
>was hidden in /etc/fixes directory.

I don't recall seeing such a discussion.  I've checked it out and pcal
seems to be an interesting program.  Maybe someone can answer the
following two questions:

1. Where is, or how does one get, the part(s) that are still missing -
   e.g. the program for setting one's preferences.  Or at least the
   format and the file where these things should reside.

2. Why is pcal so excruciatingly slow when run outside ua, e.g. with
   'windy'?  Can anything be done about this?

Thanks,

Yigal Arens
USC/ISI
arens@vaxa.isi.edu