[comp.sys.att] panic: NMI kernel parity error on UNIX-PC

marc@aplvax.UUCP (Marcus H. Gates) (09/21/87)

    I bought my 7300 2 months ago and lately have had several crashes with
the message:
	     panic: NMI kernel parity error
    I am then able to reboot with no problems. The last time this happened
immediately before the crash I got some strange error when trying to use
the modem.  Another, possibly unrelated item: I don't use ua for normal things
and just use the function key to get the call screen menu. Last time, with
the call screen running I returned to the login window and started ua, then
when I exited ua - it also killed the call screen. Should this have happened?

    I am running 3.5, if that helps.
--
				marc gates
				johns hopkins applied physics lab, laurel, md

csf@mtunb.ATT.COM (C. Furchner) (09/29/87)

In article <749@aplvax.UUCP> marc@aplvax.UUCP (Marcus H. Gates) writes:

>    I bought my 7300 2 months ago and lately have had several crashes with
>the message:
>	     panic: NMI kernel parity error
>    I am then able to reboot with no problems. The last time this happened
>immediately before the crash I got some strange error when trying to use
>the modem.

If this happens with the standard AT&T hardware and software -
e.g., not HDB or other "non-packaged" sw, and you didn't install a
hard disk or make any other modifications that would invalidate your
warranty - you should call AT&T customer support at (800) 922-0354.

Panics are not normal !

C. Furchner
...ihnp4!mtune!mtunb!csf