[comp.sys.att] Tossing windows out the ... er, window

dyer@atari.UUCP (Landon Dyer) (09/14/87)

Has anyone successfully thrown away the entire windowing system on the
3B1?  I've already removed the "exec" line from my .profile script,
but I'd like to be able to use the ENTIRE SCREEN for editing and so
on.  (I'd also like to make the mouse invisible).

They're MY pixels -- I want to use them!

It is an impressive machine for the price....

--
-Landon Dyer, Atari Corporation	       {sun,amdcad,lll-lcc,imagen}!atari!dyer
The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those

gst@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU (Gary S. Trujillo) (09/21/87)

In article <840@atari.UUCP> dyer@atari.UUCP (Landon Dyer) writes:

> Has anyone successfully thrown away the entire windowing system on the
> 3B1?  I've already removed the "exec" line from my .profile script,
> but I'd like to be able to use the ENTIRE SCREEN for editing and so
> on.  (I'd also like to make the mouse invisible).
>
> They're MY pixels -- I want to use them!
>
> It is an impressive machine for the price....

Well, I recently came across a gizmo from AT&Ts "THE STORE!" in New Jersey
(201-957-4646 (1200 baud)) called "windy" which, among other things, permits
one to enlarge a window to the full screen size (and throw away the window
borders).  It appears that source code for "windy" is also available.

[By the way, they also have something called "capctl" which is an installable
driver for the keyboard which allows you to use the "caps lock" key for a
control key.  I could not and would not try to train my fingers to use the
"ctrl" key next to the space bar.  "capctl" also allows you to flip quickly
from one window to the next without having to go to a menu.]

Here's the description that comes with "windy," written by Jim Reeds:

--
	Gary Trujillo
	(harvard!wjh12!gst)

kathy@bakerst.UUCP (Kathy Vincent) (09/21/87)

Sorry.  I can't post a followup to this group ...

	Newsgroups: sun!sunne!gnosys!gst

In article <97@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU> gst@wjh12.UUCP (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
>In article <840@atari.UUCP> dyer@atari.UUCP (Landon Dyer) writes:
>
>> Has anyone successfully thrown away the entire windowing system on the
>> 3B1?  I've already removed the "exec" line from my .profile script,
>> but I'd like to be able to use the ENTIRE SCREEN for editing and so
>> on.  (I'd also like to make the mouse invisible).
>
>  [ Gary posted info about 'windy' from the Store ]

Something else that's rather nifty was posted not long ago to
unix-pc.general by Jim Rosenberg (amanue!jr) - the option of
using multiple gettys and establishing several virtual terminals.
This doesn't take care of the status line or the mouse, but Jim
may have some ideas about that, too, and he just hasn't posted
them yet.

Several of us have been using the multiple getty approach, and
I, for one, like it quite a bit.  All it takes is adding a
couple of lines to your /etc/inittab file (thank you, KB).
You've got one - that looks like this:

	vid:2:respawn:/etc/getty window 9600

Now, for each extra "window" you want, add another line.  I've
got two.  Someone else has six extra.  8-}

	vi1:2:respawn:/etc/getty window 9600
	vi2:2:respawn:/etc/getty window 9600

You have to log in to each "window," but that's no big problem.
To switch back and forth, just hit the "Suspd" key, select a
window, and hit the "Enter" key, and there you are.
Someone recently told me that the window manager from the Store
would make switching easier - enabling you to step between
"windows" with the "Resume" key.  This approach cuts back on the
number of "windows" available to 'ua', but if you're not using 'ua',
you probably don't care.

Jim also posted a program that enables you to label your "windows"
so that you don't just get the "Unknown Contents" line for
each window.  I don't have that running yet, myself.

Kathy Vincent ------> Home: {ihnp4|mtune|codas|ptsfa}!bakerst!kathy
              ------> AT&T: {ihnp4|mtune|burl}!wrcola!kathy

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (09/22/87)

As quoted from <840@atari.UUCP> by dyer@atari.UUCP (Landon Dyer):
+---------------
| Has anyone successfully thrown away the entire windowing system on the
| 3B1?  I've already removed the "exec" line from my .profile script,
| but I'd like to be able to use the ENTIRE SCREEN for editing and so
| on.  (I'd also like to make the mouse invisible).
|
| They're MY pixels -- I want to use them!
+---------------

I advise against this:  /etc/profile wants to make the non-windowed console
terminal type "adm3" -- another word for DUMB.

On the other hand, you might be able to modify a window to use all of the
screen; check out window(7) in Vol. II of the user's manual.  Only, I don't
have any idea what to do about the deathstar "working" icon....
--
	    Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
  {{harvard,mit-eddie}!necntc,well!hoptoad,sun!mandrill!hal}!ncoast!allbery

kathy@bakerst.UUCP (Kathy Vincent) (09/22/87)

In article <914@bakerst.UUCP>, kathy@bakerst.UUCP (Kathy Vincent) writes:

> Someone recently told me that the window manager from the Store
> would make switching easier - enabling you to step between
> "windows" with the "Resume" key.  This approach cuts back on the
> number of "windows" available to 'ua', but if you're not using 'ua',
> you probably don't care.

The "This approach" refers to the use of multiple gettys - NOT to
the switching back and forth with the "Resume" key.  Sorry for the
muddy waters.

sid@chinet.UUCP (Sid Grange) (09/22/87)

In article <914@bakerst.UUCP> kathy@bakerst.UUCP (Kathy Vincent) writes:

>You have to log in to each "window," but that's no big problem.
>To switch back and forth, just hit the "Suspd" key, select a
>window, and hit the "Enter" key, and there you are.
>Someone recently told me that the window manager from the Store
>would make switching easier - enabling you to step between
>"windows" with the "Resume" key.

If you hit just the "Suspd" key that's what you get; the list of active
windows to choose from. You don't need windy or any other program
from the store to just flip between windows. If you hit <shift> while you
press "Suspd" or "Rsume" you'll flip through your active windows. It's
faster (though the windows running getty tend to get in the way). This
works on 3.51 and *probably* 3.5.

  Sid Grange
  sid@chinet
  ihnp4!chinet!sid

kathy@bakerst.UUCP (09/23/87)

In article <1606@chinet.UUCP> sid@chinet.UUCP (Sid Grange) writes:
>In article <914@bakerst.UUCP> kathy@bakerst.UUCP (Kathy Vincent) writes:
>>
>>You have to log in to each "window," but that's no big problem.
>>To switch back and forth, just hit the "Suspd" key, select a
>>window, and hit the "Enter" key, and there you are.
>>Someone recently told me that the window manager from the Store
>>would make switching easier - enabling you to step between
>>"windows" with the "Resume" key.
>
>If you hit just the "Suspd" key that's what you get; the list of active
>windows to choose from. You don't need windy or any other program
>from the store to just flip between windows. If you hit <shift> while you
>press "Suspd" or "Rsume" you'll flip through your active windows. It's
>faster (though the windows running getty tend to get in the way). This
>works on 3.51 and *probably* 3.5.

This, on top of the rest, finally confuses me: "though the windows
running getty tend to get in the way."

Are you talking about using the 'ua' with its multiple active windows,
or just about using multiple gettys? I do *NOT* use the 'ua' at all - I
just have three gettys running - and <shift> "Suspd"/"Rsume" does nothing
for me.  The only way I have been able to switch from window to window is
by depressing the "Suspd" (NOT shifted), selecting a window, and depressing
the "Enter" key.

Granted, I haven't upgraded to 3.51 - I'm still running 3.5 - so, if you
aren't talking about using the 'ua', perhaps therein lies the difference.

grt@twitch.UUCP ( G.R.Tomasevich) (09/23/87)

In article <97@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU>, gst@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
> Well, I recently came across a gizmo from AT&Ts "THE STORE!" in New Jersey
> (201-957-4646 (1200 baud)) called "windy" which, among other things, permits
> one to enlarge a window to the full screen size (and throw away the window
> | The 29-line screen is divied up like this:

Note that the original poster wants free use of ALL the pixels.  You still do
not get the status line and such.  I think 'windy' is nice, though.

BTW, the author's path came out in the Newsgroups field !!??
--
	George Tomasevich, ihnp4!twitch!grt
	AT&T Bell Laboratories, Holmdel, NJ

dbw@mtunk.UUCP (09/23/87)

The window manager (/etc/wmgr) does the flipping.  In 3.51
the shift-{suspd,rsume} keys do it, in WMGR from THE STORE!
(for 3.5) it's rsume and shift-rsume.  For 3.0, in CAPCTL
(or whatever it's called) it's right_ctrl+right_shift and
vice versa, with the kernel intercepting the keystrokes in
the keyboard driver.  It doesn't matter whether you use ua,
it's kernel operations that switch the windows.

Dave Wood

gst@wjh12.UUCP (09/25/87)

In article <778@twitch.UUCP> grt@twitch.UUCP ( G.R.Tomasevich) writes:
>In article <97@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU>, gst@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
>> Well, I recently came across a gizmo from AT&Ts "THE STORE!" in New Jersey...
>
>BTW, the author's path came out in the Newsgroups field !!??

Yeah [blush].  Kathy Vincent also pointed out my goof.  I haven't done a
whole lot of posting, and mistook the "Followup-To" for "Reply-To."
Mea maxima culpa!

Sorry to trouble everyone who has followup-ed, or who has tried doing so.

        Gary S. Trujillo		One Cranberry Hill
        Sun Microsystems		Lexington, Massachusetts 02173

        617-863-8870x302		sun!sunne!gnosys!gst
--
	Gary Trujillo
	(harvard!wjh12!gst)

csf@mtunb.ATT.COM (C. Furchner) (09/29/87)

In article <1606@chinet.UUCP> sid@chinet.UUCP (Sid Grange) writes:

  > [On the UNIX PC] if you hit <shift> while you
  >press "Suspd" or "Rsume" you'll flip through your active windows. It's
  >faster (though the windows running getty tend to get in the way). This
  >works on 3.51 and *probably* 3.5.

Flipping between active windows using shift-suspend and shift-resume
is a new feature in version 3.51 of the UNIX PC software.

C. Furchner
...ihnp4!mtune!mtunb!csf

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (09/30/87)

As quoted from <921@bakerst.UUCP> by kathy@bakerst.UUCP (Kathy Vincent):
+---------------
| In article <1606@chinet.UUCP> sid@chinet.UUCP (Sid Grange) writes:
| >from the store to just flip between windows. If you hit <shift> while you
| >press "Suspd" or "Rsume" you'll flip through your active windows. It's
| >faster (though the windows running getty tend to get in the way). This
| >works on 3.51 and *probably* 3.5.
|
| just have three gettys running - and <shift> "Suspd"/"Rsume" does nothing
| for me.  The only way I have been able to switch from window to window is
| by depressing the "Suspd" (NOT shifted), selecting a window, and depressing
| the "Enter" key.
+---------------

The docs that came with my 3B1 list Shift/Suspend and Shift/Resume as new
features of 3.51.  They are probably worth the upgrade all by themselves.
--
	    Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
  {{harvard,mit-eddie}!necntc,well!hoptoad,sun!mandrill!hal}!ncoast!allbery
ARPA: necntc!ncoast!allbery@harvard.harvard.edu  Fido: 157/502  MCI: BALLBERY
   <<ncoast Public Access UNIX: +1 216 781 6201 24hrs. 300/1200/2400 baud>>
"`You left off the thunderclap and the lightning flash.', I told him.
`Should I try again?'  `Never mind.'"     --Steven Brust, JHEREG

imd@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Ira M. Dworkin) (10/01/87)

In article allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) <4777@ncoast.UUCP> writes:

> The docs that came with my 3B1 list Shift/Suspend and Shift/Resume as new
> features of 3.51.  They are probably worth the upgrade all by themselves.
> --

Or, just get WMGR for 3.5 from The Store!  Shift/Resume takes you back
one window, Resume takes you forward a window.  Since this is FREE, I
don't think the Shift/Suspend / Shift/Resume feature alone warrants
an upgrade to 3.51.

Ira Dworkin
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Naperville, IL  60566

ihnp4!ihlpg!imd

imd@ihlpg.UUCP (10/02/87)

> Just get WMGR from The Store!  It's free ...
> Ira Dworkin
> AT&T Bell Laboratories
> ihnp4!ihlpg!imd

Sorry, I goofed.  WMGR is AT&T Proprietary (I didn't realize when I posted),
so not everyone has access to it.

- ira