[comp.sys.att] 3B1 Smart SW mini-review included

mark@cogent.UUCP (Captain Neptune) (10/01/87)

In article <959@edge.UUCP> walker@edge.UUCP (Dan Walker) writes:
>I own a 3B1 and I'm interested in getting the Smart SW package (includes:
>word processor, spread sheet, data base manager).
>
>Questions:
>	Has anyone out there purchased this package?
I got Smart SW when I ordered my 3b1.

>	How do you like it?
I've been quite satisfied with it.

>	How much did it cost?
$250.  A steal.

>	What and where is the best known deal? I don't know.  I can only say
that I got mine at Technology Resources in Los Angeles (call information
to get their phone number).  Overall, their prices are fairly good, but
they are a little slow when it comes to support (i.e.  when you have a
problem).  However, I doubt you'd have much problems with the Smart SW
package.

Some notes about Smart SW:

I use the Word Processor the most.  It is very adequate for everything I
wish to do.  One minor caveat: it comes up in a bordered window that
covers almost all of the screen, but since it is *less* than the total
screen, a SMALLER character font is used so that a full 80x24 (or
something close) can be achieved.  I have adjusted to that ok, but if
you have vision trouble, it might be a point of concern.

Mouse integration is excellent (also in the spreadsheet).

The Spreadsheet has good graphics, but it takes a little while to get
the hang of it.  The tutorial examples in the manual are recommended,
don't try to figure out the spreadsheet graphics on your own.  The
spreadsheet can import Lotus files, I am told, but I've never tried it
myself.

I have done very little on the database, I have not got a great need in
the area of databases and lists.  From what I saw in playing with it,
the database was ok, not but I think the Word Processor and Spreadsheet
are nicer than the Database.  But, like I said, I haven't used the
Database that much, so you probably should reserve judgement until you
try the database out our get a better review of it.

Other goodies come with Smart SW.  An appointment manager, much like the
Personal Calendar that AT&T offers (but never gets around to sending :-)
I like the Personal Calendar better, but the Smart Appointment Manager
is still good.  It just doesn't have the alarm and some of the keyword
features that Personal Calendar has.

There is also a text editor included in Smart SW.  I've used it very
little, but it is probably a good alternative for people who don't want
to use vi.

When I dialed in from my office, I used the Smart Word Processor over
the modem (and on an HP 2392 terminal in ANSI mode, using a 'vt100'
terminfo driver).  It ran just fine.  It uses a larger window, since
smaller character fonts are not possible.  Other than being at 1200
baud, it worked perfectly, and with larger characters.  I mention this
because many UNIXpc applications don't run worth beans on terminals
other than the main console.  So that is a mark in Smart's favor.

Overall: Smart SW has a few minor drawbacks that are, in my opinion,
outweighed by it's assets.  I would recommend it to anyone, especially
at the $250 price.

Disclaimer: check with Technology Resources to be sure the price is
still in effect!

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (10/04/87)

> ...a steal at $250 ... check with Technology Resources....

Well, when I talked to Technology Resources about 4 weeks ago, they
(one Eliis Goldberg) quoted the price on Smart at $299.  When I got
around to getting on the 3B1 waiting list (currently approximately
three weeks trunaround), they (a woman named Shawn) told me that
the price for Smart SW had gone up to $499.  Gak!!  I told her to
check it and called back the next day where upon she reconfirmed
the price.

Unfortunately, she didn't know beans about what version of Smart
they were selling.  I read that a new version of Smart for '386
Xenix just hit the streets.  This is probably what pushed our price
up!

Anyone out there know if there is still a cheep source for Smart?

  --Bill

(wtm@neoucom.UUCP)

mark@gizzmo.UUCP (mark hilliard) (10/05/87)

In article <715@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>(one Eliis Goldberg) quoted the price on Smart at $299.  When I got
>the price for Smart SW had gone up to $499.  Gak!!  I told her to

Sorry, the price for the 3b1 implementation of Smart has gone up $200.00
This is due to a AT&T price increase to their vendors.  Some one has decided
to try and recoop some of their losses!

--
                                                {mhuxu,u1100a}-----\