[comp.sys.att] System security discussions

brant@manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) (10/01/87)

I am rather surprised to discover that so many people want security
flaws publicized on the net.  Clearly, what seemed obvious to me (and
prompted my now roundly criticized article on the subject) is obvious
only to me.

The premise of my argument is that there are more people who would be
tempted to exploit a hole once pointed out by, e.g., an article in
comp.sys.att than there are people who could actually find such holes
or recognize them as such if they stumbled across them.

If you accept this premise, then you see that as soon as a security
hole is advertised, the pool of potential exploiters (which we would
like to keep as small as possible) increases dramatically.  Once a
security bug is publicly revealed, systems are left vulnerable to this
large pool of exploiters until the hole is plugged (which isn't always
easy, and doesn't always happen quickly).  I should also point out
that not all Unix PC systems are on Usenet.  Posting security holes
leaves those systems especially vulnerable, since the sysadmins aren't
even privy to the discussions.

It was this reasoning that led me to conclude that articles explicitly
discussing security violations were a bad idea.  What's sauce for the
sysadmin is sauce for the hacker.  A few active sysadmins benefit at
the potential expense of too many others.  At the very least, people
should recognize that a cavalier attitude toward system security
discussions is inappropriate in this forum.  The best solution, to my
mind, would involve pressuring AT&T to take an active position on Unix
PC security and letting them serve as the clearinghouse for
security-related bug reports and fixes.

So despite what appears to be total lack of support for my position, I
remain convinced that posting one's latest "Look Ma, I'm root!" is far
more likely to do harm than good.  Nevertheless, Lenny Tropiano
certainly has my apologies for the inappropriately harsh tone I used
toward him in my earlier posting.
--
Brant Cheikes
University of Pennsylvania

lm@eta.ETA.COM (Larry McVoy) (10/06/87)

In article <150@manta.UUCP> brant@manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) writes:
>So despite what appears to be total lack of support for my position, I
>remain convinced that posting one's latest "Look Ma, I'm root!" is far
>more likely to do harm than good.  Nevertheless, Lenny Tropiano
>certainly has my apologies for the inappropriately harsh tone I used
>toward him in my earlier posting.
>--
>Brant Cheikes
>University of Pennsylvania
>Department of Computer and Information Science
>ARPA: brant@linc.cis.upenn.edu  UUCP: ...cbmvax!cgh!manta!brant

I suggest that you read the following (classic) paper on Unix Security before
you decide to broadcast your views on the subject to the net.

	F.T. Grampp & R.H. Morris, "Unix Operating System Security",
	AT&T Bell Technical Journal 63, pp. 1649-1672, October 1984.

It's a very standard OS paper to have read.  Had you read it, Brant, you
would have discovered that many "obvious" conclusions about security are
in fact wrong.  "Look Ma, I'm root!" is fine.  It points out holes.
People who care will fix the holes.  Ignoring them or hushing them up
does not fix holes.  It creates time bombs.
--

Larry McVoy	uucp: ...!{uiucuxc, rosevax, meccts, ihnp4!laidbak}!eta!lmcvoy
		arpa: eta!lmcvoy@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu