[comp.sys.att] Hard Disk Help

wcz@pecnos.UUCP (10/05/87)

Has anyone successfully added a Seagate ST251 40 Meg. Hard Disk to a
AT&T 6300 PLUS?

The PLUS normally uses a CDC WREN II 40 Meg. drive but the Seagate is
substantially less expensive.

						Thanks,
						Tom

bill@ssbn.UUCP (Bill Kennedy) (10/08/87)

In article <478@pecnos.UUCP> wcz@pecnos.UUCP writes:
>Has anyone successfully added a Seagate ST251 40 Meg. Hard Disk to a
>AT&T 6300 PLUS?

It can't be done without a motherboard BIOS change if you use Simul-Task.
There are eight drives that will work with the PLUS but the ST-251 is not
one of them.

>The PLUS normally uses a CDC WREN II 40 Meg. drive but the Seagate is
>substantially less expensive.

There are two good full height alternatives, the Seagate ST-4051 (40Mb/34ms)
or the Miniscribe 6085 (72Mb/28ms).  I can mail the list of "OK" drives to
anyone interested (I posted it a while back) as well as a recommended
outboard enclosure for the hard disk(s).

You might be able to use a drive other than the "magic eight" if you use
the BIOS on the disk controller and I suspect that you can if you only use
MS-DOS.  If you want to use Simul-Task you *must* use the motherboard BIOS
even though your controller could handle the other drive.  Don't fall victim
to the nifty prices or claims to the contrary, the parameters for the drives
are hard coded into the BIOS.  Presumably the EPROM's could be changed, does
anyone know where the drive table is?
Bill Kennedy {cbosgd | ihnp4!petro | sun!texsun!rrm}!ssbn!bill

jons@islenet.UUCP (Jonathan Spangler) (10/11/87)

In article <478@pecnos.UUCP> wcz@pecnos.UUCP writes:
>Has anyone successfully added a Seagate ST251 40 Meg. Hard Disk to a
>AT&T 6300 PLUS?
>
>The PLUS normally uses a CDC WREN II 40 Meg. drive but the Seagate is
>substantially less expensive.

If you can do a low level format and specifiy non-standard parameters,
all you really need to know are number of heads and cylinders of the
respective drive. The ST251 has 6 heads and 820 cylinders. Precomp and
Reduced write cylinder are "none".

I remember trying to format an ST251 in a Sperry and had similar problems
until I used a hard disk utility called "Disk Manager" from Ontrack Systems.

Aloha,

Jonathan Spangler
UUCP:         {ihnp4,vortex,dual}!islenet!jons
OPUS/FIDONET: Sysop@(12/6) HTCS BBS (808)531-2659, 24 hrs., Honolulu