[comp.sys.att] Looking for a good Fortran for 3B1

jimmy@gryphon.CTS.COM (Jim Gottlieb) (10/10/87)

Does anyone out there know much about the Fortran compilers available
for the 3B1?  ATT does not bundle F77 with the OS, so I have to
find a compiler out there.  I have heard not-so-good things about RM
and SVS; reasonably good things about LPI.  Has anyone else had similar
experiences?  Is there a source for getting F77 directly.  Prices?

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Glenn - Dept. of Economics D-008, UC San Diego, La Jolla, CA  92093
(619) 534-2973, 452-6284
--------------------
Address: keynes!glenn@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
         ucbvax!sdcsvax!keynes!glenn

Glenn T. Sueyoshi - Asst. Professor of Economics, UCSD

emigh@ncsugn.ncsu.edu (Ted H. Emigh) (10/11/87)

In article <1856@gryphon.CTS.COM> keynes!glenn@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu writes:

>Does anyone out there know much about the Fortran compilers available
>for the 3B1?  ATT does not bundle F77 with the OS, so I have to
>find a compiler out there.  I have heard not-so-good things about RM
>and SVS; reasonably good things about LPI.  Has anyone else had similar
>experiences?  Is there a source for getting F77 directly.  Prices?

After hearing much the same, we bought LPI FORTRAN and LPI Pascal.
This was in June.  We still haven't opened the wrapper bacause of the
restrictive license.  In addition to the usual stuff about the
compiler being used on only one machine (no problem with this) there
is a clause stating that any program compiled on the one machine and
used on a different machine must pay royalties!  Even if it is given
away free.  We are in the process of  modifying the license agreement
with AT&T (the people we bought them from).  If you can live with that,
then LPI is what you want--otherwise choose another.

I just hope the license thing is resolved before the money we have to
pay for it evaporates.
--
Ted H. Emigh, Dept. Genetics and Statistics, NCSU, Raleigh, NC
uucp:	mcnc!ncsuvx!ncsugn!emigh	internet:  emigh%ncsugn.ncsu.edu