[comp.sys.att] CAPCTRL for Release 3.51?

gst@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU (Gary S. Trujillo) (10/05/87)

It would appear that the CAPCTL loadable driver that permits the functions
of "Caps Lock" and "Ctrl" keys to be exchanged on the 3B1, which is available
from "THE STORE!" does not work with Release 3.51 of the system.  I had been
using CAPCTRL3.0 quite happily for the several months that I've been using
Release 3.0 with a borrowed machine.  However, now that I have my own machine,
and have installed Release 3.51, I have discovered that neither CAPCTRL3.0 nor
CAPCTRL3.5 works.  According the the version of the STORE's catalogue dated
1 September, only these two versions of CAPCTRL exist.  Does anyone know of
any solution?  I really find the position of the "Ctrl" keys fairly difficult
to deal with, especially given that I use a more conventional keyboard at work.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

--
	Gary Trujillo
	(harvard!wjh12!gst)

andys@genesis.UUCP (a.b.sherman) (10/05/87)

In article <101@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU>, gst@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
> It would appear that the CAPCTL loadable driver that permits the functions
> of "Caps Lock" and "Ctrl" keys to be exchanged on the 3B1, which is available
> from "THE STORE!" does not work with Release 3.51 of the system.  I had been

You want the 3.5 version of CAPCTRL.  However, you must hack the
install script, where it checks for the version, so that it will accept
3.51 as being as good as 3.5.  (Remember that a +IN file from the
STORE is just an ASCII cpio archive with some files known to be
there.  Edit the file named Intall to fix the bug.  Executing
MAKEcpio remakes the +IN file, and MAKEcpio makes an installable
floppy.  Good luck
--
andy sherman / at&t bell laboratories (medical diagnostic systems)
room 2h-097 / 480 red hill road / middletown, nj 07748

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (10/06/87)

aaaaahhh ... but it *does* work.  The install script checks explicitly
for 3.5.  The way to do it is to get the 3.5 version, unpack the archive,
edit the install script to remove the test for v3.5 (or make it check
for 3.51), then repack the archive.  (You have to do something silly
to repack the archive, like "Bc" in the cpio command ... if you have
the document on building installable archives (available from The STORE!)
then you know what to do ... I just don't remember too well).

--
<---- David Herron,  Local E-Mail Hack,  david@ms.uky.edu, david@ms.uky.csnet
<----                    {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

imd@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Ira M. Dworkin) (10/06/87)

In article gst@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU (Gary S. Trujillo) <101@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU> writes:

> It would appear that the CAPCTL loadable driver that permits the functions
> of "Caps Lock" and "Ctrl" keys to be exchanged on the 3B1, which is available
> from "THE STORE!" does not work with Release 3.51 of the system.  I had been

> Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Capctrl3.5 **DOES** work with 3.51.  The only thing that doesn't work properly
is installing it from the install menu (I seem to remember this discussion
not too long ago).  Go to /tmp, put the capctrl floppy in, and
cpio -icdmB</dev/rfp021  (or, if you just got it from The Store, use the
file that you got in place of /dev/rfp021).

This will give you a bunch of files, including one called Install.  Execute
Install (sh Install).  This will install the capctrl driver.    You have
to install the remove script manually.  mv remove (I think that's the
name of it) to /usr/Installed and name it using the following formula:
   yymmddsss.un   (sss is seconds)

Now edit the CONTENTS file in that directory and add a line that looks like
yymmddsss	CAPCTRL Driver for 3.5

It really doesn't matter what you name the file, as long as it ends in
'.un' and the filename in the CONTENTS file matches.

You're done.

Hope that helps.

Ira Dworkin
AT&T Bell Laboratories
ihnp4!ihlpg!imd

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (10/07/87)

In article <101@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU> gst@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
| It would appear that the CAPCTL loadable driver that permits the functions
| of "Caps Lock" and "Ctrl" keys to be exchanged on the 3B1, which is available
| from "THE STORE!" does not work with Release 3.51 of the system.  I had been
| using CAPCTRL3.0 quite happily for the several months that I've been using
| Release 3.0 with a borrowed machine.  However, now that I have my own machine,
| and have installed Release 3.51, I have discovered that neither CAPCTRL3.0 nor
| CAPCTRL3.5 works. ...

All I can suggest is that you try again.  The thing works just fine for me.
--

Kevin O'Gorman ( kevin@kosman ) Vital Computer Systems, Oxnard, CA  93035

andys@shlepper.ATT.COM (andy sherman) (10/07/87)

STORE catalog.  Unfortunately, a dumb forwarding process munged the
headers on his mail, so I'll post it here.  (Somebody else might
want it anyway). The uucp information is:
   Dial-up Number:   (201) 957-4646
   uucp login:       shop
   uucp password:    (there isn't any password)

Once you set this up, either by editing your L-sys file or using the
Electronic Mail Names of Other System from the user agent, then from
a shell,

uucp shop!/store/STOREROOM/CATALOG+IN !~/STORE/CATALOG+IN)

When the transfer is complete, install CATALOG+IN from the user
agent.

psfales@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Pete Fales) (10/12/87)

In article <101@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU> gst@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
| It would appear that the CAPCTL loadable driver that permits the functions
| of "Caps Lock" and "Ctrl" keys to be exchanged on the 3B1, which is available
| from "THE STORE!" does not work with Release 3.51 of the system.  I had been
| using CAPCTRL3.0 quite happily for the several months that I've been using
| Release 3.0 with a borrowed machine.  However, now that I have my own machine,
| and have installed Release 3.51, I have discovered that neither CAPCTRL3.0 nor
| CAPCTRL3.5 works. ...

I confused myself a bit the first time in installed CAPCTRL 3.5 on my 3.51
system and thought it didn't work because it behaves differently than
he 3.0 version.

Under 3.0 the Caps Lock key becomes Ctrl and the left Ctrl key becomes Caps
Lock.  Under 3.5 (and 3.51) both the Caps Lock and left Ctrl key become Ctrl.
It is the RIGHT Ctrl key that becomes Caps Lock.  An improvement in
my opinion.
--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpe!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784