[comp.sys.att] 2 Hard Disks on 3B1?

sean@killer.UUCP (Sean McCollister) (10/12/87)

	I've seen discussions here about HD's larger than 67 MB, and adding
more partitions to an existing disk, but.... Is it possible to add a second
hard drive to a 3B1?  I've noticed that the /dev directory contains entries
for [r]fp01x; the software support for a second disk seems to be there, but
does the hardware support it?  I haven't had the courage to open the box up
and check the controller.  Anyone know?

							Thanks for the help,
							Sean

rrobinson@ames.arpa (Randall W. Robinson) (10/12/87)

in article <1795@killer.UUCP>, sean@killer.UUCP (Sean McCollister) says:

> 	I've seen discussions here about HD's larger than 67 MB, and adding
> more partitions to an existing disk, but.... Is it possible to add a second
> hard drive to a 3B1?  I've noticed that the /dev directory contains entries
> for [r]fp01x; the software support for a second disk seems to be there, but
> does the hardware support it?  I haven't had the courage to open the box up
> and check the controller.  Anyone know?

I too am interested in this.  The question is more likely to be:

Can an external controller be added?

The system has a Fixed Disk Controller built into the system
board.  This controller has 1 and only 1 data connector.  It is
an easy thing to daisy-chain and control cable but,  I know of
no easy way to chain the data cable.  If there is an external
additional/replacement controller,  I would be very interested.
If I am wrong about the data line chaining,  this would be even
better (I strongly doubt this to be the case).

Thanx in advance to anyone that has this solution.

Have Fun

Randall W. Robinson
rrobinson@ames.arpa

andys@shlepper.ATT.COM (andy sherman) (10/14/87)

In article <1795@killer.UUCP>, sean@killer.UUCP (Sean McCollister) writes:

> 	I've seen discussions here about HD's larger than 67 MB, and adding
> more partitions to an existing disk, but.... Is it possible to add a second
> hard drive to a 3B1?  I've noticed that the /dev directory contains entries
> for [r]fp01x; the software support for a second disk seems to be there, but
> does the hardware support it?  I haven't had the courage to open the box up
> and check the controller.  Anyone know?

I've checked.  Sorry, but there is only one set of connectors.  For
ST-506, the command bus is daisy-chained but the data bus is not.
The best conjecture on the entries for the second hard drive is that
the miniframe that Convergent made for development had two disks.
--
Andy Sherman / AT&T Bell Laboratories (Medical Diagnostic Systems)
480 Red Hill Road / Middletown NJ 07748 / (201) 615-5708

ignatz@chinet.UUCP (Dave Ihnat) (10/14/87)

There apparently *is* a kit to allow the 3B1 to handle a second drive.
There was some discussion on the net about getting VARs to carry it;
and we were in particular bugging Greg Oij at VarTech.  He confirmed
that it exists--didn't say how much in terms of $$, but I suspect we're
not going to like it--and is from Convergent, but also indicated that
he was poking about for a second source.  No further updates, but I've
got to talk with him about a tape drive (I don't like the answers there,
either...) and will ask about the kit.  More to come...
--
			Dave Ihnat
			ihnp4!homebru!ignatz || ihnp4!chinet!ignatz