[comp.sys.att] A new 3B1 user has problems.

bhj@bhjat.UUCP (burt janz) (10/11/87)

Greetings!

I have just purchased a new ATT UNIX PC.  I am quite pleased with it.
This is not, however, my first experience with the unit.  I first worked
with it a couple of years ago when it was called the Model 7300.  We
got one the day after it was released, along with its first release of the
operating system, compiler, and other utilities.  In those days, loadable
drivers were but a myth and a gleam in the eyes of the ATT developers.

The system has changed quite a bit since then, and MUCH for the BETTER.
It seems to be just what I was looking for: a very cute workstation
capable of being used as a highly intelligent terminal (our mainframe
goes down quite a bit -- I wanted to download my work and use the mainframe
as a file server ... neat concept, eh?)

I made a serious mistake, however.  I didn't order the Utilities package.
After getting the system home and loaded up, I discovered that I didn't
have "vi", or any equivalent screen-oriented editor.  Yes, I know how to
use "ed" (I've been using UNIX since V6), but line oriented editing isn't
the greatest for software or document construction.

I would like to ask a few questions about the system, and then make a few
requests.
first through other companies and then my Microport system).

1)  Is there any way to run the terminal emulator package without having
to be in the windows package?  It seems that all of the overhead doing
display updating slows down the emulator, even at 1200 baud.

2)  The description for the Encryption package states that it comes with
vi.  I loaded the package and DIDN'T find vi.  Is this a misprint in the
manual?

3)  Are the compress/uncompress utilities compatible with those under
the Beserkely UFIX kernel?

4)  Finally, is there any effective way of turning all of the screen stuff
off (including the daemons) to obtain the extra cpu cycles?  (Faster is
faster, after all...)

Could some kind soul (souls?) provide some sort of editor until my own
comes in?  I am not asking for vi... that's a violation of both copyright
and licencing.  I would like to get a copy of MicroEmacs, or GNUEmacs, or any
other full screen editor which seems to work well under the 3B1 UNIX.  As
long as I can get started now, I can compile later.  I will, of course,
provide floppies and return postage, and anything else that is within
reason, to obtain this software.

(On the side, any other useful utilities will be gratefully appreciated.)

Many thanks to any and all respondees.

Please send email to:

..decvax!bhjat

Burt Janz

lenny@quincy.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (10/12/87)

In article <156@bhjat.UUCP>, bhj@bhjat.UUCP (burt janz) writes:
> Greetings!
> [...]
>
> 1)  Is there any way to run the terminal emulator package without having
> to be in the windows package?  It seems that all of the overhead doing
> display updating slows down the emulator, even at 1200 baud.

The terminal emulator is a little slow, I've noticed that too.. but I don't
know if running it without the user agent is going to help.  Although
you can look in /usr/lib/ua/Comm_Pkgs it calles /usr/bin/async_main to
create the Profiles.  I am not sure the correct parameters you need to
get it to execute (since ps doesn't give them all)

> 2)  The description for the Encryption package states that it comes with
> vi.  I loaded the package and DIDN'T find vi.  Is this a misprint in the
> manual?

Hmmm... the "Encryption Set" gives vi and ex the capability to use the
vi -x <file>   to encrypt a file.  It probably has a copy of vi on the
disk, although if you don't have Enhanced Editors loaded in it might not
work.  Look at the contents of the disk with cpio -ict < /dev/rfp021.
The Enhanced Editors (vi, ex, etc..) comes with the Utilties set, I never
understood that!

> 3)  Are the compress/uncompress utilities compatible with those under
> the Beserkely UFIX kernel?

I don't see why not.  It seems to be compatible with the compress/uncompress
4.0 distributed by the net.

> 4)  Finally, is there any effective way of turning all of the screen stuff
> off (including the daemons) to obtain the extra cpu cycles?  (Faster is
> faster, after all...)

kill the processes? :-)  The wmgr, smgr (cron), ph don't "bog" down the CPU
all that much.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Shutting the screen off
so it won't burn in the monitor (without lowering the intensity) is a feature
of 3.51 (screen saver).  Although the monitor is still running (ie power is
still going to it!)

				Good luck on your new 3B1!
						-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano                      ...seismo!uunet!godfre!quincy!lenny  -or-
American LP Systems, Inc.           ...cmcl2!phri!gor!helm!quincy!lenny  -or-

wilkes@beatnix.UUCP (John Wilkes) (10/16/87)

In article <65@quincy.UUCP> lenny@quincy.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>In article <156@bhjat.UUCP>, bhj@bhjat.UUCP (burt janz) writes:
>> 2)  The description for the Encryption package states that it comes with
>> vi.  I loaded the package and DIDN'T find vi.  Is this a misprint in the
>> manual?
>>
>Hmmm... the "Encryption Set" gives vi and ex the capability to use the
>vi -x <file>   to encrypt a file.  It probably has a copy of vi on the
>disk, although if you don't have Enhanced Editors loaded in it might not
>work.  Look at the contents of the disk with cpio -ict < /dev/rfp021.

OK, I did that, and it's there.  Now how do I get it?  Alas, my utilities
package is backordered.  (At least my machine wasn't...)  It's getting
a little tiresome using ed, although I guess I don't really need an
editor since I don't have C yet.

And speaking of editors, how do I get the unix-pc version of GNU emacs?
I hear rumors that someone out in net.land has a version with mouse
support and will distribute it on floppies.

While I've got your attention, does anybody know the truth about the
sys V release on the 3b1.  Is it sys V r 2 dot something, or is it
a real release 3, or some kind of in-between mutant?

Thanks!  (Oh, and thanks to ATT for the fire sale!)

--
  John Wilkes --- UUCP: (work) {ucbvax,ihnp4}!sun!elxsi!wilkes
                  UUCP: (home) {ucbvax,ihnp4}!sun!elxsi!maow!john

benten@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Muhammad S. Benten) (10/16/87)

The copy of vi that is in the Encryption set is fine and works perfect.
To get it use the "Floppy" object in the office and select the
restore option. Use the "Restore by Unix file name" option to restore
the file "vi" and if you want some goodies like "libc.a,libp.a...".
The backup floppies are the Encryption set disk#1 and #2. I've
tried it and I'm using vi.

Muhammad S. Benten

ARPA:  benten@boulder.colorado.EDU