[comp.sys.att] setting up crypted passwords

rosalia@sbcs (Mark Galassi) (10/14/87)

In article <934@woton.UUCP> riddle@woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle ) writes:

>  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  The easiest way to do this is to use the
>"passwd" command to change the password for your own login id, copy the
>resulting encrypted password out of your line in /etc/passwd, then change
>your own password back.  (Got that?)

    Isn't it the case that the crypted form of a password also depends
on the login?  I am pretty sure that that is so.  Then what you would
have to do is (since you are root) create a dummy login with the name
"nuucp" (or whatever you were talking about) and change that from
the root account.
					Mark Galassi
				...!pyramid!sbcs!rosalia
{ these opinions are mine, and should be everybody else's :-) }
--

rjd@tiger.UUCP (10/17/87)

> >  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  The easiest way to do this is to use the
> >"passwd" command to change the password for your own login id, copy the
> >resulting encrypted password out of your line in /etc/passwd, then change
> >your own password back.  (Got that?)
> >
>     Isn't it the case that the crypted form of a password also depends
> on the login?  I am pretty sure that that is so.  Then what you would
> have to do is (since you are root) create a dummy login with the name
> "nuucp" (or whatever you were talking about) and change that from
> the root account.

  I suppose it could, but your password on AT&T System V Unix does not depend
on your login.  If you say that because you have put the same password on two
different logins and noticed a difference, it is because the "seed" used for
the password (look up "crypt(2)") is based upon the TIME that you change or
set the password.  Since the seed is the first few characters of the encrypted
login, you do not need to worry about it.  Just copy it over and it will work..

Randy

ark@alice.UUCP (10/18/87)

In article <763@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, rosalia@sbcs.UUCP writes:
>     Isn't it the case that the crypted form of a password also depends
> on the login?

No it isn'tW