[comp.sys.att] 3B1 clock battery replacement

charlie@ureka.UUCP (charlie crassi) (10/17/87)

I have just received my Clock Battery Kit from Amperfax to replace the
original 3B1 clock battery.

For those of you who haven't had to do this yet, here's what I got for
$ 28.49

     2 each Panasonic AAA nicads ( roughly $ 1.50 - $ 2.00 )
     1 each battery holder ( approx. $ .59 )
     1 each pigtail with a polarized connector pair ( approx. $ 1.59 )
     1 instruction sheet telling me to unsolder the old battery terms
       and solder in the new. That's it !!!!! ...............

There's nothing else to it. So if you haven't done it yet, you will in
all probability have to do so within a year. You might be able to save
yourself about $ 24.00 (~500 %) by shopping locally.

The reason I bought the kit was on the advice of someone else who bought an
earlier kit which apparently had a current limiting network also. Now the
current limiting network is no longer provided ( perhaps not needed ) so
there's no apparent need to pay the extra 24 bucks or so.

By the way, there is NO WARRANTY with the kit except that they will replace
a factory defective battery or connector only.

DISCLAIMER: This should not be constituted as advice but just as information
relaying what I got for my money and what I would do the next time.

--
					    .... Charlie ....
rutgers!rochester!kodak!ureka!charlie

gws@n8emr.UUCP (Gary W. Sanders ) (10/18/87)

In article <126@ureka.UUCP> charlie@ureka.UUCP (charlie crassi) writes:
>I have just received my Clock Battery Kit from Amperfax to replace the
>original 3B1 clock battery.

>     2 each Panasonic AAA nicads ( roughly $ 1.50 - $ 2.00 )
>     1 instruction sheet telling me to unsolder the old battery terms
>       and solder in the new. That's it !!!!! ...............

	Hmm, How do they plan to charge the nicads? since the
previous battery  was a lithium, there cant (shouldnt) be any charging
circuit already in use, I guess you just have to pull out the batterys
to charge them up.

	I looked at buying the upgrade kit a while back for some of
my office machine, but $25 for a battery is a bit high and replacment
batterys are easyly gotten..

--
Gary W. Sanders	 	{ihnp4|cbosgd}!n8emr!gws
(cis) 72277,1325 	(packet) N8EMR @ W8CQK

jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) (10/21/87)

Gary has a good point. I whipped out the schematics and took a peek. There
is a blocking diode there to make SURE no current is applied to the battery.
If it weren't there the lithium batter would explode.

--
John Bly Milton IV	{ihnp4|cbosgd}!n8emr!uncle!jbm
(614)294-4823 		(home, where the ATT 7300 [uncle] lives)