[comp.sys.att] UNIX PC/3B1 Graphics

lenny@quincy.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (10/20/87)

Does anyone have a good Computer-Aided-Design (CAD) program for the
UNIX PC.  Seems like the raster display would have a good medium for
this.  Can you give me the company that sells this and how much?

Now the UNIX PC comes with the Virtual Device Driver by GSS, which
gives you the capability to hook up plotters and graphics printers
to the UNIX PC.

With the Development Set you get the "C-Binding" (/usr/lib/libcvdi.a)
to make programs that use this.  Unfortunately the 3.5 development
set has a old copy of the GSS archive (5.0 archive) and the new
"ar" command will not read those old archives, I will have to get
the "ar" command from the old 3.0 disks to read it, and re-archive
it with the new one.  Why they changed formats is beyond me.

Has anyone had experience programming the UNIX PC with the GSS library?
Is it a full GKS implementation?  Any public domain programs writing
to show off the raster graphics?  Please e-mail them to me or post them?

						Thanks in advance,
						Lenny.

--
Lenny Tropiano                      ...seismo!uunet!godfre!quincy!lenny  -or-
American LP Systems, Inc.           ...cmcl2!phri!gor!helm!quincy!lenny  -or-

csf@mtunb.ATT.COM (C. Furchner) (10/20/87)

In article <69@quincy.UUCP> lenny@quincy.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:

  >Does anyone have a good Computer-Aided-Design (CAD) program for the
  >UNIX PC.  Seems like the raster display would have a good medium for
  >this.  Can you give me the company that sells this and how much?

IGC Technology Corporation [305 Lennon Lane, Walnut Creek, CA 94598,
(415) 945-7300] developed a package called PEGASYS (Professional
Engineering Graphics Application System), which is a computer
aided design and drafting system.  I have not used it, but I
have seen it demonstrated and it looked pretty slick.  I don't
have current prices - check with the company.

  >With the Development Set you get the "C-Binding" (/usr/lib/libcvdi.a)
  >to make programs that use this.  Unfortunately the 3.5 development
  >set has a old copy of the GSS archive (5.0 archive) and the new
  >"ar" command will not read those old archives, I will have to get
  >the "ar" command from the old 3.0 disks to read it, and re-archive
  >it with the new one.  Why they changed formats is beyond me.

The 3.0 version of the ar command is packaged with 3.5, so you
don't need to pull it out of a 3.0 set.  The new 3.5 version of the
ar command was introduced to support the flexnames feature of
the 3.5 C compiler; the 3.0 version works with nonflexname archives.
--
C. Furchner
...ihnp4!mtune!mtunb!csf

jeff@cjsa.UUCP (C. Jeffery Small) (10/24/87)

In article <1111@mtunb.ATT.COM>, csf@mtunb.ATT.COM (C. Furchner) writes:

> IGC Technology Corporation [305 Lennon Lane, Walnut Creek, CA 94598,
> (415) 945-7300] developed a package called PEGASYS (Professional
> Engineering Graphics Application System), which is a computer
> aided design and drafting system.  I have not used it, but I
> have seen it demonstrated and it looked pretty slick.  I don't
> have current prices - check with the company.

I have had the Pegasys CAD package running on a 3B1 system in my office for
a number of months now.  While this package is impressive in its stated
capabilities and could be a very useful production tool (we are an
Architectural firm), there is a serious bug in the current version which
causes Pegasys to HALT when you perform certain random I/O functions.  This
had made the program totally unusable by us and Pegasys has been sitting idle
for the past four months.  IGC has been promising that an upgraded version of
this package would be available in about a month - for the last seven months!

Because of this experience, I cannot recommend that anyone purchase this
package for use on their 3B1/UNIXPC machines.  If and when I receive the
revised version of the package from IGC, I will test it and report the
results to the net in a follow-up article.  Anyone requiring more specific
information on Pegasys is welcome to write or call me for additional info.
I would also be interested in hearing from anyone else who has had
experience using this software on a UNIXPC.
--
Jeffery Small          (203) 776-2000     UUCP:   uunet!---\
C. Jeffery Small and Associates	                  ihnp4!--- hsi!cjsa!jeff