[comp.sys.att] UNIX PC as a graphics terminal?

riddle@woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle ) (10/22/87)

Is there any communications software available for the UNIX PC which will
make it emulate some sort of standard graphics terminal?  We have a 3B15
with graphics software on it but no graphics terminals, and it certainly
would be nice if we could fool it into thinking that our 3B1s were Tektronix
4010s or something similar.

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Shriners Burns Institute.
--- riddle@woton.UUCP  {ihnp4,harvard}!ut-sally!im4u!woton!riddle

emigh@ncsugn.ncsu.edu (Ted H. Emigh) (10/25/87)

In article <938@woton.UUCP> riddle@woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle ) writes:
>Is there any communications software available for the UNIX PC which will
>make it emulate some sort of standard graphics terminal?

GSS-Terminal MAY have the functions you need.  We are the glad recipients
of one of the ATT Computer Donation Program.  We received several 7300s
and, among other software, GSS-Terminal.  It is designed to "emulate the
operation of a Tektronix 4014 graphics terminal with an Extended Graphics
Module (EGM).  In addition to 4014 functions, GSS-TERMINAL emulates certain
functions of a Tektronix 4105 color graphics terminal."

It is very (VERY) slow --the emulator will not keep up at 1200 baud even
for normal alpha/numeric sessions.

(Later in the manual, they mention: "GSS-TERMINAL does not support the
following modes available in Extended Graphics Module (EGM) operation:
o  Point plot mode
o  Incremental point plot mode
o  Special point plot mode

I have no idea how much it costs, as they were a gift to our University
(Thanks AT&T!!).

--Ted--

--
Ted H. Emigh, Dept. Genetics and Statistics, NCSU, Raleigh, NC
uucp:	mcnc!ncsuvx!ncsugn!emigh	internet:  emigh%ncsugn.ncsu.edu

brad@bradley.UUCP (10/26/87)

Try the GSS-TERMINAL package.....it works.