[comp.sys.att] Telephone numbers and security

riddle@woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle ) (11/03/87)

In article <221@safari.UUCP>, dave@safari.UUCP (dave munroe) writes:
> I notice that with 3.5, LOGFILE now shows the phone numbers of dialed
> systems.  How much of a security problem is this?

It's a pretty severe security problem in an institutional environment
such as ours, where phone numbers are likely to include long distance
access codes which *must* be kept private.

A similar problem which we have identified but not fixed is related to
phone numbers used by the phone manager.  Not only should users' phone
directories default to being read-protected, but the way the CTRL-F2
"Call" function key works is a misfeature: it dumps you into the last
call screen used, which may be that of another user!

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Shriners Burns Institute.
--- riddle@woton.UUCP  {ihnp4,harvard}!ut-sally!im4u!woton!riddle