[comp.sys.att] Missing features in Unix-PC Phone Manager

km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) (11/02/87)

There are two features that the Phone Manger appears to
be missing, that I wish it had:

1) Daemon Dialing: Repeated dialing of the same number
   until a connection is made.
2) Speaker Toggle: Turn the speaker on and off manually
   during a phone call. Useful say, if someone puts you
   a lengthy hold after answering the phone.

Both are clearly possible in software, given the phone
ioctls that exist in the software. My guess is that
1) is something AT&T doesn't like, I don't think I've
seen it on an AT&T phone. Probably 2) no one thought of.

Has anyone written a standalone program to do 1)?

As far as 2 it seems like it could be done with an external
program that just opens /dev/ph and issues the ioctl,
except that I expect the phone manager must do an exclusive
open on the device. In fact it may be the case that
the device is inherently exclusive open. Any comments from
someone with experience writing for the device?

--
Ken Mandelberg      |  {decvax,sun!sunatl,gatech}!emory!km  UUCP
Emory University    |  km@emory                             BITNET

pjc@pbhyf.UUCP (Paul Condie) (11/03/87)

In article <2298@emory.uucp> km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>As far as 2 it seems like it could be done with an external
>program that just opens /dev/ph and issues the ioctl,
>except that I expect the phone manager must do an exclusive
>open on the device. In fact it may be the case that
>the device is inherently exclusive open. Any comments from
>someone with experience writing for the device?

You're right, I wanted to be able to do a ioctl (PIOCGETA?) to find out
the phone status during a call but was unable to open /dev/ph?.  Open
kept returning errno 16 device busy.