[comp.sys.att] remapping keyboard on 3B1?

neves@ai.WISC.EDU (David M. Neves) (09/27/87)

I am new to this newsgroup...

I heard that there is a program that will remap the keyboard (I
especially want to turn the the shift-lock into a control key).  Is this
so, and if yes could someone email it to me?
David Neves, Computer Sciences Department, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Usenet:  {allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!neves
Arpanet:JSOLropaway,chude

lenny@quincy.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (09/28/87)

In article <4340@spool.wisc.edu>, neves@ai.WISC.EDU (David M. Neves) writes:
> I am new to this newsgroup...
>
> I heard that there is a program that will remap the keyboard (I
> especially want to turn the the shift-lock into a control key).  Is this
> so, and if yes could someone email it to me?

THE STORE operated by AT&T has UNIX PC programs that you can UUCP to your
machine (if you don't mind the phone call to 201-New Jersey).
One of the programs on there is CAPCTRL that does what you want.  It is
switches the CAPS-LOCK key to a control-key and changes the right CTRL
key to a CAPS-LOCK key.  (the light on the caps-lock still toggles green)

You will need a installable Catalog program to get communicating with THE STORE.
If you need something like this (drop me a line)...  It is readily available
and most UNIX PC owners have this or can get it to you.

						Lenny

--
Lenny Tropiano               ...seismo!uunet!swlabs!godfre!quincy!lenny  -or-
American LP Systems, Inc.           ...cmcl2!phri!gor!helm!quincy!lenny  -or-

rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) (10/10/87)

In article <4340@spool.wisc.edu> neves@ai.WISC.EDU (David M. Neves) writes:
>I heard that there is a program that will remap the keyboard (I
>especially want to turn the the shift-lock into a control key).  Is this
>so, and if yes could someone email it to me?

While we're at it, can I swap <del> and <back-space>?  Yes, I know I
can redefine them in emacs but then I need to redefine them only when
term=3b1 on my sun, on our sequent, on everyone else's machine I ever
log into, etc.  Easier just to sun-ify my 3b1.

xoxorich.

wcs@ho95e.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart) (10/11/87)

In article <1566@oxtrap.UUCP> rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) writes:
:While we're at it, can I swap <del> and <back-space>?
	The reason for switching caps-lock and control is because
	they don't generate characters, so any software beyond the
	keyboard driver can't touch them.
	If you want to switch the functions of the backspace and delete
	keys, you can do stty erase ^? intr ^H.  Of course, this leaves
	control-h as an interrupt, but I assume this is what you want?
--
#				Thanks;
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

paddock@mybest.UUCP (Steve Paddock) (10/11/87)

In article <1566@oxtrap.UUCP> rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) writes:

>While we're at it, can I swap <del> and <back-space>?  Yes, I know I
>can redefine them in emacs but then I need to redefine them only when
>term=3b1 on my sun, on our sequent, on everyone else's machine I ever
>log into, etc.  Easier just to sun-ify my 3b1.

Wouldn't stty erase ^? intr ^h do it?  Or better still
stty kill ^u intr ^c erase ^?

--
Steve Paddock (ut-ngp!auscso!mybest!paddock) 512-477-9736
Best Printing Co,  Austin, Texas  78767

richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) (10/12/87)

In article <1779@ho95e.ATT.COM> wcs@ho95e.UUCP (46133-Bill.Stewart,2G218,x0705,) writes:
> In article <1566@oxtrap.UUCP> rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) writes:
> :While we're at it, can I swap <del> and <back-space>?
> 	The reason for switching caps-lock and control is because
> 	they don't generate characters, so any software beyond the
> 	keyboard driver can't touch them.
> 	If you want to switch the functions of the backspace and delete
> 	keys, you can do stty erase ^? intr ^H.  Of course, this leaves
> 	control-h as an interrupt, but I assume this is what you want?
> --

Okay, but how about switching <del> with <break>?  That seems like
the more "standard" arrangment.  Break is another special case right?

It sure would be nice to get this last bug out of the keyboard layout.

--
Richard Foulk		...{dual,vortex,ihnp4}!islenet!richard
Honolulu, Hawaii

pgf@mtung.ATT.COM (Paul Fox) (10/14/87)

>Okay, but how about switching <del> with <break>?  That seems like

    I think I can point this discussion in the right direction (and
    would like to, given a long-term interest in keyboard remapping :-).

    In /usr/include/sys there is a file called kbd.h.  It contains,
    surprisingly, some information concerning the keyboard.

    In this file there is an array of structures declared called
    "keymap".  The structure is defined just above it.  As noted in the
    comments against the structure, the table consists of the
    following information for each and every physical key on the
    keyboard (plus some -- there are 128 entries, some unused):

	a)	The "value" the driver should use for the unshifted key.
	b)	The "value" the driver should use for the shifted key.
	c)	The "value" the driver should use for the ctrl'ed key.
	d)	Some flags the driver should use for something or other.

    As a further pointer in the right direction, this table actually
    appears in each and every UNIX pc kernel, somewhere in /dev/kmem.

    As yet another pointer, the address of that table can be obtained
    from "nm /unix", or, for those of you without the development set,
    from "/etc/lddrv/unix.sym".

    As yet another pointer, a simple utility such as adb (or cat, for
    those of you without the development set :-) is capable of
    modifying files such as /dev/kmem or /dev/mem on a byte by byte
    basis.

    The rest of the problem is left as an exercise to the programmer
    (or user, for those of you without the development set :-).

    Note that I've never tried this specific trick on the UNIX pc...
    I couldn't write CAPCTRL (the 3.0 version) this way (as a user
    program that poked at the in-memory kernel), because the code that
    does caps locking and cntrling doesn't use the table -- it uses
    the #defines just above the table labelled "Special Keyboard Scan
    Codes", and the code was hard to patch.  It was easier to rewrite it
    and make it a loadable driver.

--
			Paul Fox, AT&T Information Systems, Middletown NJ.
			  [ihnp4|vax135]!mtung!pgf (201)957-2698

ford@crash.CTS.COM (Michael Ditto) (10/15/87)

In article <3566@islenet.UUCP> richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) writes:
>Okay, but how about switching <del> with <break>?
>  [...]
>It sure would be nice to get this last bug out of the keyboard layout.

Not quite the last bug...  Where's the META key for emacs???

And, after installing CAPCTRL, there is this useless (redundant) key to
the left of the spacebar, right where the meta key is supposed to be...
if only AT&T or The Store! would document how CAPCTRL works, anyone
could fix these things.

--

Mike Ditto					-=] Ford [=-
P.O. Box 1721					ford@crash.CTS.COM

aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP (10/18/87)

Has anybody disassembled CAPCTRL? I am wont to.

Andy "Krazy" Glew. Gould CSD-Urbana.    USEnet:  ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!aglew
1101 E. University, Urbana, IL 61801    ARPAnet: aglew@gswd-vms.arpa

I always felt that disclaimers were silly and affected, but there are people
who let themselves be affected by silly things, so: my opinions are my own,
and not the opinions of my employer, or any other organisation with which I am
affiliated. I indicate my employer only so that other people may account for
any possible bias I may have towards my employer's products or systems.

richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) (10/21/87)

In article <31200008@ccvaxa> aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP writes:

> Has anybody disassembled CAPCTRL? I am wont to.

Not me, but I've been eyeing some other things on the system with this
in mind.  Is there a tool available that's better suited to the job
than adb or sdb?

--

andys@genesis.ATT.COM (a.b.sherman) (10/22/87)

In article <31200008@ccvaxa>, aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP writes:

> Has anybody disassembled CAPCTRL? I am wont to.

I suspect that the source to the loadable driver contains
some proprietary code of AT&T.  The CAPCTRL driver was provided by
AT&T folks as a public service, for free.   It is a *LOT* easier to
get management to allow such public services to continue if you keep
your disassemblers off of the result.

Non-Standard Disclaimer:  I am NOT part of the UNIX-PC development
group nor the STORE.
--
andy sherman / at&t bell laboratories (medical diagnostic systems)
room 2h-097 / 480 red hill road / middletown, nj 07748

daveb@llama.rtech.UUCP (Dave Brower) (10/24/87)

In article <388@genesis.ATT.COM> andys@genesis.ATT.COM (a.b.sherman) writes:
>I suspect that the source to the loadable driver contains
>some proprietary code of AT&T.  The CAPCTRL driver was provided by
>AT&T folks as a public service, for free.   It is a *LOT* easier to
>get management to allow such public services to continue if you keep
>your disassemblers off of the result.

I guess I understand part of the agrument here, but much remains a
mystery.  What possible gain does AT&T have from keeping the source to
these 7300 specific tools proprietary, secret, and locked in house?

On the contrary, it would enhance the satisfaction of their users to
make this stuff open and available.  It is particularly true now that
the machine is being orphaned.

-dB

"And he said, 'Thailand is the same as Crumville, Spalding'"
{amdahl, cbosgd, mtxinu, ptsfa, sun}!rtech!daveb daveb@rtech.uucp

aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP (10/25/87)

>>In article <31200008@ccvaxa>, aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP writes:
>> Has anybody disassembled CAPCTRL? I am wont to.
>
>I suspect that the source to the loadable driver contains
>some proprietary code of AT&T.  The CAPCTRL driver was provided by
>AT&T folks as a public service, for free.   It is a *LOT* easier to
>get management to allow such public services to continue if you keep
>your disassemblers off of the result.
>
>andy sherman / at&t bell laboratories (medical diagnostic systems)

I understand and appreciate the sentiment, but I'm in a tight spot
- I've ordered the UNIX PC Technical Reference, which is supposed to
tell me the key codes and interrupt structure of the machine I've
purchased, I've paid in advance for the manual - and AT&T hasn't
delivered it to my VAR, Technology Resource Center, in over 2 months.

So, AT&T either delivers my paid-for manual - or I start disassembling
things, so that I can start really using my machine before my 90 day
warranty and question period elapses.

Has anyone else out there received a Technical Reference, or the
Loadable Device Drivers manual?

Andy "Krazy" Glew. Gould CSD-Urbana.    USEnet:  ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!aglew
1101 E. University, Urbana, IL 61801    ARPAnet: aglew@gswd-vms.arpa

I always felt that disclaimers were silly and affected, but there are people
who let themselves be affected by silly things, so: my opinions are my own,
and not the opinions of my employer, or any other organisation with which I am
affiliated. I indicate my employer only so that other people may account for
any possible bias I may have towards my employer's products or systems.

lm@eta.ETA.COM (Larry McVoy) (10/26/87)

In article <3586@islenet.UUCP> richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) writes:
[ wants a disassembler]
>in mind.  Is there a tool available that's better suited to the job
>than adb or sdb?

Try dis(1).
--

Larry McVoy	uucp: ...!{uiucuxc, rosevax, meccts, ihnp4!laidbak}!eta!lmcvoy
		arpa: eta!lmcvoy@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu   or   lm@arizona.edu

lm@eta.ETA.COM (Larry McVoy) (11/04/87)

In article <3606@islenet.UUCP> richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) writes:
>In article <8700196@eta.ETA.COM> lm@eta.UUCP (Larry McVoy) writes:
>>
>> Try dis(1).
>
>Okay, I give, where can I get dis?  It doesn't seem to have been

My mistake.  Dis is part of the sgs on real system V systems (at least V.3).
I don't have a copy either.  However, the various debuggers seem to know
about disassembly....