[comp.sys.att] 3b1: /etc/inittab needs this fix

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (11/02/87)

Hi gang,

After what seemed like an eternity, my 3b1 finally arrived.  Over
all, I have to say it seems like a nice box.  The fist thing I did
before plugging in was to pop the cover to see if anything had
jarred loose durring UPS's ride to my house.  Everything was fine.
Once I figured out how to get the cover off I was impressed that
the motherboard was pretty well done-- unlike some of the older
stuff I've seen from Convergent Technology.  There were only a few
cut-n-paste jumpers.  I got the 2-by-67 model.  The disk, if
anybody cares is a Miniscribe 6085 (a good choice for the machine,
actually).  Of course, you're drive might be something else.  It
looked like my 3b1 must've been sitting round the warehouse for
some time, as the date codes on the electronics were mostly early
1986.

I only found one major flaw; disk #3 of my document preparation set
part of the Ulities arrived with a read error.  I called the hot
line at 9:00 am Satuday on a long shot and was quite surpriesed
that a relatively lucid person answered.  I was also surprised that
their computer already had my address in its files.  Good show on
the service.

OK, so that's out of the way, now down to business.  I found that
my 3b1 was needlessly running up the phone bills of the system here
at work when the mahcine here polled the 3b1.  (Perhaps AT&T has a
secret plot the recover revenue of the fire sale by making up the
difference in revenue for long distance :-) )  Well anyway, It
looks like uucico doesn't send a kill signal to getty when it
exits.  Thus getty doesn't respawn, thus clearing the line.  What
happens is that getty puts up "please login:" and the two machines
then procede to stare at each othe ad infinitum.  Actually, its a
good thing that uucico doesn't kill getty, as that would screw
things up when crontab ran uucico.

A quicky solution is to edit /etc/inittab against the stern
advisement and add a timeout flag so that after uucico exits, that
getty will automatically respawn itself after nothing gets "typed"
into the login: prompt for a while.  I found -t60 does the trick.
Refer to your manual for details on the getty flags.

My ultimate solution is to have /etc/password run a little c program
that exec()'s uucico, rather than running uucico directly.  That's
worthwhile, since uucico ought to inheret some stuff from the
enviroment anyway-- like TZ for instance!  The c program can then
kill getty when uucico exits.  I'm kind of surprised that rough
edges like this still exist in v 3.51.

While in the b*tching mode, the /bin/mail provided is pretty bogus.
Looks like ancient Sys III stuff to me.  My manual sez "Sys V" on
the cover: Hmmmmm.  Anybody have a tolerable mail shell out there??
I'm pretty spoiled by BSD mail.

I have to admit, having KSH is pretty nice, though.

Bill Mayhew
NEOUCOM

here:  wtm@neoucom.UUCP
at home:  ...cbosgd! --\
                        --neoucom!impulse!wtm
        ...mandrill! --/

latham@ablnc.UUCP (11/04/87)

In article <744@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
> Hi gang,
> OK, so that's out of the way, now down to business.  I found that
> my 3b1 was needlessly running up the phone bills of the system here
> at work when the mahcine here polled the 3b1.
> .. looks like uucico doesn't send a kill signal to getty when it
> exits.  Thus getty doesn't respawn, thus clearing the line.  What
>
> A quicky solution is to edit /etc/inittab against the stern
> advisement and add a timeout flag so that after uucico exits, that
> getty will automatically respawn itself after nothing gets "typed"
> into the login: prompt for a while.  I found -t60 does the trick.
> Refer to your manual for details on the getty flags.
>
> While in the b*tching mode, the /bin/mail provided is pretty bogus.
> Looks like ancient Sys III stuff to me.  My manual sez "Sys V" on
> the cover: Hmmmmm.  Anybody have a tolerable mail shell out there??
> I'm pretty spoiled by BSD mail.

You could solve all your getty problems by calling THE STORE! to get
Honey-Dan-Ber UUCP, which comes with all the User Agent interfaces to
do the proper setup (including the -t60 flag).

Also, You can get your beloved BSD MAILX from the THE STORE! as well!

And its all FREE ( except for the phone calls :-) ).

Send your Physical (real US MAIL) address to :

	Susan Woodbury					mtunf!smw
	200 Laurel Avenue				MT 3G-338
	Middletown, NJ  07748

She will send you a floppy with the necessary software to access THE STORE!

Warning to all NON-EMPLOYEES :
	You must be an employee to receive certain software, Validation of
	employment is necessary to receive authorization to access the
	AT&T portion ofTHE STORE!.  Honey-Dan-Ber is AT&T only.

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (11/06/87)

In article <348@ablnc.ATT.COM> latham@ablnc.ATT.COM (Ken Latham) writes:
[after extolling the wondrous benefits of HoneyDanBer and MAILX]
>Warning to all NON-EMPLOYEES :
>	You must be an employee to receive certain software, Validation of
>	employment is necessary to receive authorization to access the
>	AT&T portion ofTHE STORE!.  Honey-Dan-Ber is AT&T only.

So A) Why the f**k do you post this in a news group most of whose readers
are NOT AT&T employees, and therefore cannot get this stuff, even if they
need it, want it, and lust after it continually?  And B) what's the
problem?  HDB, at least, was once available to the general public.  Why
is this software being held hostage?  Surely there must be a reason,
and I, for one, would greatly appreciate finding out what it is.

--
----------------
Michael J. Farren      "... if the church put in half the time on covetousness

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (11/10/87)

As quoted from <348@ablnc.ATT.COM> by latham@ablnc.ATT.COM (Ken Latham):
+---------------
| In article <744@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
| > .. looks like uucico doesn't send a kill signal to getty when it
| > exits.  Thus getty doesn't respawn, thus clearing the line.  What
|
| You could solve all your getty problems by calling THE STORE! to get
| Honey-Dan-Ber UUCP, which comes with all the User Agent interfaces to
| do the proper setup (including the -t60 flag).
|
| Warning to all NON-EMPLOYEES :
| 	You must be an employee to receive certain software, Validation of
| 	employment is necessary to receive authorization to access the
| 	AT&T portion ofTHE STORE!.  Honey-Dan-Ber is AT&T only.

So, for the second time:  WHAT DO WE LOWLY NON-AT&T-EMPLOYEE PEONS DO TO
GET THIS FIXED???!  (I don't give a d*mn about mailx, I ported mh instead.
I may yet get it to the point where I might be able to distribute it....)
--
Brandon S. Allbery		     necntc!ncoast!allbery@harvard.harvard.edu
 {harvard!necntc,well!hoptoad,sun!mandrill!hal,uunet!hnsurg3}!ncoast!allbery