[comp.sys.att] mailmerge

haber@cs.buffalo.EDU (Yaacov Haber) (11/04/87)

We have a unix-pc 67m 3b1. We presently
use dbase3 as a db manager and vi as a
text editor. Does anyone have a program
that can do mailmerge ie insert information
from our dbase program into our wordprocessing?

Rabbi Yaacov Haber                                            _-_
Torah Center of Buffalo                                    /~~   ~~\
1695 Hertel Ave.                                        /~~         ~~\
Buffalo, NY  14216                                     {               }
Tel. (716) 833-7881                                     \  _-     -_  /
                                                         ~~  \\ //  ~~
Internet:  haber@cs.buffalo.edu                               | |
UUCP: ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!haber          | |
Bitnet:  haber@sunybcs.bitnet                                // \\
                                                    "A tree of life for
                                                   those who embrace it"

steve@wolf.UUCP (Steven Harrison) (11/05/87)

In article <6291@sunybcs.UUCP>, haber@cs.buffalo.EDU (Yaacov Haber) writes:

> We have a unix-pc 67m 3b1. We presently
> use dbase3 as a db manager and vi as a
> text editor. Does anyone have a program
> that can do mailmerge ie insert information
> from our dbase program into our wordprocessing?

The Lyrix package on the 3B1 does nicely.  Question for you where did you
get dbase3 we have been using Informix-SQL/ESQL/4GL??

--
Steven Harrison    Systems'n'Software    San Diego, California

UUCP: ihnp4!jack!wolf!steve
ARPA: jack!wolf!steve@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

hoffman@pitt.UUCP (Bob Hoffman) (11/14/87)

In article <6291@sunybcs.UUCP> haber@sunybcs.UUCP (Yaacov Haber) writes:

>We have a unix-pc 67m 3b1. We presently
>use dbase3 as a db manager and vi as a
>text editor. Does anyone have a program
>that can do mailmerge ie insert information
>from our dbase program into our wordprocessing?

You didn't mention what program you use for word processing, so I'll
assume it's nroff.  I suggest that you set your dbase3 up to generate
an output file that contains the information you want to insert in
your letters.  Separate each item of information by a blank line.
For example, if you want to send letters and have the address and
salutation inserted, generate your data file (let's call it addr.dat)
so that it looks like this:

	Joseph Smith		<--first line of file
	123 Main Street
	Anywhere, KS
				<--blank line separates addr from sal.
	Mr. Smith:
				<--blank line separates sal. from next addr.
	John Jones
	321 Oak Lane
	Backwoods, MO

	Mr. Jones:

	.ex			<--last line of file... causes nroff to exit

and so forth.  Now, write your boilerplate (let's call it boiler.ms)
as follows:

	.LP
	.ds CH			<--remove center heading (page number)
	.ds CF			<--remove center footer (date)
	.ta 3.0i
		November 14, 1987
	.sp 2
	.nf
	.rd
	.fi
	.sp
	Dear
	.rd
	.sp
	.PP
	This letter is to inform you that our computer can now mail
	letters automatically.
	.sp 2
	.ta 3.0i
		Sincerely,
	.sp 3
		Bob Hoffman
	.bp
	.nx boiler.ms

Each .rd reads from the standard input until it encounters a blank
line.  The .nx says to read that file next, i.e. start over.
To generate the letters, issue the command:

	nroff -ms boiler.ms <addr.dat

Have fun!

	---Bob.
--
Bob Hoffman, N3CVL       {allegra, bellcore, cadre, idis, psuvax1}!pitt!hoffman
Pitt Computer Science    hoffman%pitt@relay.cs.net