[comp.sys.att] RFS for TCP/IP

stokes@udiego.UUCP (David M. Stokes) (11/13/87)

i was talking to the phone support people and asked the $64,000
question: 'When is RFS for TCP going to be written?'

The answer was that it was being tested inhouse. The libraries are
scheduld to be tested the week of Nov. 16th.

Hopefully, AT&T won't sit on this too long!

--
David Stokes                   "USD where the future is tomorrow
Academic Computing Department   and today is slightly behind schedule"

mjp@sfmag.UUCP (M.J.Purdome) (11/16/87)

> i was talking to the phone support people and asked the $64,000
> question: 'When is RFS for TCP going to be written?'
>
> The answer was that it was being tested inhouse. The libraries are
> scheduld to be tested the week of Nov. 16th.
>

> Hopefully, AT&T won't sit on this too long!
>
> --
> David Stokes                   "USD where the future is tomorrow
> Academic Computing Department   and today is slightly behind schedule"
> University of San Diego
> (619) 260-4810 or {sdcsvax, sdsu, ucsdhub}!udiego!stokes

Actually, RFS is media- and protocol-independent.  RFS 1.1 runs over TCP/IP
just fine...

Keep in mind that the TCP/IP MUST be the STREAMS-based TCP/IP recently
announced by AT&T (Version 2.1, I think).  The character-based version
of TCP/IP won't work.
--

    Mark Purdome      AT&T UNIX System Development Laboratory
                      190 River Road A-130, Summit, NJ  07901

ekrell@hector.UUCP (Eduardo Krell) (11/16/87)

In article <521@udiego.UUCP> stokes@udiego.UUCP writes:
>i was talking to the phone support people and asked the $64,000
>question: 'When is RFS for TCP going to be written?'
>
>The answer was that it was being tested inhouse. The libraries are
>scheduld to be tested the week of Nov. 16th.

It seems you're asking the wrong question: RFS doesn't need to be
changed to run over TCP/IP or any other transport protocol. RFS is
both protocol- and network- independent.  If you have a TCP/IP
kernel driver that speaks TLI (the streams-based AT&T Transport
Level Interface), you can run RFS on top of it. Period.

Now, if your question is when is AT&T going to provide a TCP/IP
driver and user-level programs (ie, the BSD networking programs)
for the 3B2's running under SVR3, then the answer is (I think)
that it's already available from Wollongong (an outside vendor).

    Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill

    {ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell

mlh@houxl.UUCP (M.HARRISON) (11/17/87)

AT&T has been shipping UNIX System V/VME Release 3.1 with a
TCP/IP-based Streams driver supporting RFS since September.
This product operates in conjunction with our WE 321SB VMEbus Single
Board Computer.

The hardware involved is a Communications Machinery Corp. ENP-10
VMEbus Ethernet Board.  TCP/IP is supplied by CMC, and THERE IS NO
NEED TO BUY WIN/3B from Wollongong, a multi-thousand dollar
savings.  See page 74 of the November 9 issue of Computer Systems
News for more details, or send me e-mail (also send me e-mail to
join our VMEbus Users Group).

			Marc Harrison
			AT&T - Holmdel
			(201) 949-1779