[comp.sys.att] UNIX PC obm and uugetty

jhc@mtune.UUCP (11/14/87)

In article <27@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>That's not my problem....  My problem arises when I open /dev/ph1 while
>there is a [uu]getty on the line.

You can't do this. I tried and failed when I was doing the HDB port. There
are 2 problems:

1) You have to create a lock file so that uugetty knows it's been locked
out of using the line.

2) Only one process can have a ph port open at a time - things get really
confused and the second process just hangs forever on a read.
--
Jonathan Clark
jhc@mtune.att.com, attmail!jonathan

The Englishman never enjoys himself except for some noble purpose.

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (11/18/87)

In article <1331@mtune.ATT.COM>, jhc@mtune.ATT.COM (Jonathan Clark) writes:
> In article <27@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
> >That's not my problem....  My problem arises when I open /dev/ph1 while
> >there is a [uu]getty on the line.
>
> 2) Only one process can have a ph port open at a time - things get really
> confused and the second process just hangs forever on a read.

Why?

--
Name:		Dave Arnold
USmail:		26561 Fresno, Mission Viejo, Ca, 92691 USA

jhc@mtune.UUCP (11/19/87)

In article <281@arnold.UUCP> dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
>In article <1331@mtune.ATT.COM>, jhc@mtune.ATT.COM (Jonathan Clark) writes:
>> 2) Only one process can have a ph port open at a time - things get really
>> confused and the second process just hangs forever on a read.
>Why?

I don't know. It's a bug in the ph driver, I think, but I once spent
two days looking for it and failed even to make a dent in the problem.
It's pretty messy in there, and the interaction between the ph driver
and the tty driver doesn't help. I seem to remember once hearing a
story that a fix for this had been found and was on a FIXDISK, but that
was probably just a rumour.
--

lenny@icus.UUCP (11/19/87)

In article <281@arnold.UUCP> dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
|In article <1331@mtune.ATT.COM>, jhc@mtune.ATT.COM (Jonathan Clark) writes:
|> In article <27@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
|> >That's not my problem....  My problem arises when I open /dev/ph1 while
|> >there is a [uu]getty on the line.
|>
|> 2) Only one process can have a ph port open at a time - things get really
|> confused and the second process just hangs forever on a read.
|
|Why?

Unless you can think of a way I can find out through a "C" program to
see if /dev/ph1 is in VOICE or DATA without opening /dev/ph1 and doing
a ioctl(filedes, PIOCGETP, &updata) and examining the structure for
the line parameters.  If you can help in this matter I would appreciate
it!

					Thanks,
					Lenny

--
============================ US MAIL:   Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group
 IIIII   CCC   U   U   SSSS             PO Box 1

pjc@pbhyf.UUCP (Paul Condie) (11/23/87)

>Unless you can think of a way I can find out through a "C" program to
>see if /dev/ph1 is in VOICE or DATA without opening /dev/ph1 and doing
>a ioctl(filedes, PIOCGETP, &updata) and examining the structure for
>the line parameters.  If you can help in this matter I would appreciate
>it!

The contents of the LCK.. file will tell you whether it is voice or data.