[comp.sys.att] uucp over tcp/ip

stokes@udiego.UUCP (David M. Stokes) (11/11/87)

I have finally concluded that I would have less headaches running
UUCP over TCP/IP than waiting for my modems to free up. AT&T
says that you can't UUCP over TCP/IP but for a few more dollars,
you can buy StarLAN and ...

NNTP is out because this is System V 3.1 not BSD and beacuse I've
learned second hand that one of the NNTP authors recommends against
using it.

I was thinking of using two approaches. The first would be to
play with the files in /usr/lib/uucp until I got the right
combination. The second would be a shell script to find files
going out and reroute.

Is there anyone else in netland doing this? Any hints or
warnings?

--
David Stokes                   "USD where the future is tomorrow
Academic Computing Department   and today is slightly behind schedule"

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (11/13/87)

In article <517@udiego.UUCP> stokes@udiego.UUCP (David M. Stokes) writes:
>I have finally concluded that I would have less headaches running
>UUCP over TCP/IP than waiting for my modems to free up. AT&T
>says that you can't UUCP over TCP/IP but for a few more dollars,
>you can buy StarLAN and ...

It can be done, but I can't help with details. The Excelan software I
have includes a "pseudo-serial" link device. After opening it, I send
the name of the system to which I want to uucp, then treat it as a
normal connection. It works much like doing a telnet to the system.

Since I have it, obviously I haven't looked too hard at how it works
(I've been getting SMTP working). Hope this helps.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

pwy@pyuxe.UUCP (Peyton Yanchurak) (11/13/87)

In article <517@udiego.UUCP>, stokes@udiego.UUCP writes:
> I have finally concluded that I would have less headaches running
> UUCP over TCP/IP than waiting for my modems to free up. AT&T
> says that you can't UUCP over TCP/IP but for a few more dollars,
> you can buy StarLAN and ...

 The recently announced STREAMS based Release 2.1 of WIN/3B TCP/IP
should support uucp over TCP/IP.  As far as I know Rel 2.1 of
WIN/3B conforms to the AT&T Transport Level Interface,
and any transport provider that conforms to the Transport Interface
should support uucp over that provider.  I know that you have
to edit /usr/lib/uucp/Devconfig to add the ability to send
uucp over  a new transport provider.

					Peyton Yanchurak
					Bell Communications Research
					bellcore!pyuxe!pwy

stokes@udiego.UUCP (11/23/87)

I'd liketo thank the many of you who responded to my posting about
running uucp over tcp/ip.

The WIN TCP/IP 1.x is being replaced with 2.0 which is streams
based. 1.x does not pass eight bits of data and news/mail does
occasioanlly like to set the eighth bit.  This is why rlogin and
other 1.x utilities/programs will occasionally bomb.

Rewrites of uucp seeem to be a fairly widespread solution. I hope
AT&T adds 2.0 to the donation list for universities before I get
around to hacking uucp.

The people from AT&T who are working with the 'new' TCP/IP also hinted
(and some blabed) that other thingsare being written for a
future update of the software that will make me very glad I
didn't shell out the $ for STARLAN. NAmely RFS (and a non AT&T
person told me about a NFS project but wouldn't give details and
the e-mail keeps bouncing back to me).

It also appears that the HoneyDanber folks wrote a uucp daemon. I
haven't gotten a look at this daemon but it sounds good. But I
already have a bunch of daemons running and hate to add more.

I post any more infor that I get. I'll also try to get a set of diffs
on the uucp code that I'll be playing with.