[comp.sys.att] MAIL ICON - was Re: 3b1: files winding up in the wrong directory

tlh@pbhyf.UUCP (11/29/87)

In article <51@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>..This is a problem with the system manager (smgr) which controls the
>MAIL ICON at the top of the screen.  If you save your mail after clicking
>on the icon, it indeed goes in /etc/lddrv/mbox, this is a *BUG* not
>a system problem...

I've been having a problem with my mail icon for a few months now.. for some
reason, it's just "no longer there."  When I receive mail, the smgr program
(I assume that's the one that paints the icon) will instead just put
garbage is that section of the status line.  (It looks something like
"+</ " where the space is in inverse video)  When I try and click on it,
nothing happens.  I've called AT&T about the problem, and their solution was
to reload the operating system.  But I don't want to have to reload the rest
of my disk later (let alone reconfigure all the special stuff I have on my
machine).  Has anyone else had problems with their mail icon?  If anyone has
any suggestions on what I might do to try and rectify this without reloading
my entire hard disk, I'd be eternally gratefull.

Lee Hounshell - pacbell!pbhacker!tlh
	      or - ptsfa!pbhyf!tlh