[comp.sys.att] Adding extra console window gettys: maybe not a good idea

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (11/09/87)

#ifdef lineater

A while back somebody posted a suggestion of adding more gettys in
/etc/inittab to permit several logins at the same time on the
console.

I tried the suggestion, and it seemed to work for a while.  After a
few days, the machine crashed inexplicably.  The screen still
displayed, the mouse pointer moved, and the modem would go off hook
anything typed in  over the console or modem.  On the command line
at the bottom of the screen there was a message to the effect,
"there isn't enough memory.  close some windows."  Hmmmm..
Curious, there is only one window open.

Several days later, suddenly, I got about the same effect.  The
console started going at about the rate of a 300 baud terminal.
Next came the "close some windows" message.  Click on the X in the
corner has no effect.  (a total of 3 windows were open)  Sigh, and
reboot.  I examined /usr/admin/unix to look for some hideous error,
but nothing beyond the floppy disk error from the unreadable
diskette I got in the document preparation set.  Next, try an
fsck-- nothing out of the ordinary reported.  I came to the
conclusion it must have something to do with the changes to
/etc/inittab.

Well, I returned /etc/inittab back to the default configuration,
and everything has been fine since.  By the way, the above effects
were experienced running v 3.51.

Has anybody else experienced anything akin to this?  I'm still
worried that the  MMU might be out to lunch, not deallocating
memory when a task finishes.  Also, does anybody know the
significace of the green boxes that print in the upper left hand
corner when power is first applied?  I notice that when booting
from a complete power-down, six boxes are printed.  A reboot from
running shutdown only prints one or two boxes.

As usual, thanks for the help I've received from the network.

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Science
Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272-9989  USA  phone:  216-325-2511

(wtm@neoucom.UUCP)

rmr@ncrpcd.UUCP (Roscoe) (11/10/87)

I have been running three getty's on my console for several months
now, and have not had the problems you meantioned. ( unix 3.5)
Although, it does create some annoying problems with the windowing done
by the telephone manager. The telephone manager does not consider
itself active, unless someone is logged into the original console window.
(or at least thats what i believe it wants). I have a question/problem.
Since I am running several getty's from my console. And the telephone
manager uses the original console as its base. Is there anyway to convince
the telephone manager to always use the same "phone book/directory" and
the same history file without having to log the same account into the
original console window. Another question I have is, is there anyway to
get rid or hide all the Notes/Filcabinet/Wastebasket,etc directories that
are put all over the place. Is this from the wmgr, or the smgr? Making them
"." directories would be acceptable.

		Somewhere out of mind,
			Roscoe Rush
			ncrpcd!rmr

brant@manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) (11/11/87)

In article <750@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>A while back somebody posted a suggestion of adding more gettys in
>/etc/inittab to permit several logins at the same time on the
>console. [...] I tried the suggestion, and it seemed to work for a
>while.  After a few days, the machine crashed inexplicably. [...]
>I came to the conclusion it must have something to do with the
>changes to /etc/inittab. [...] I returned /etc/inittab back
>to the default configuration, and everything has been fine since.

It's an interesting theory, but it certainly isn't reproduced on my
machine.  I'm also running 3.51 and have added an extra console to
/etc/inittab.  This configuration has been working for several months.
How many extra consoles did you add?  Maybe there's some upper bound.
I tend to doubt it's a hardware problem, since I can't see how
restoring inittab would have relieved such a failure.  Nevertheless,
I suppose you've run the diagnostics (for whatever they're worth)?
--
Brant Cheikes
University of Pennsylvania

jeff@cjsa.UUCP (C. Jeffery Small) (11/12/87)

In article <750@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
> #ifdef lineater
>
> After a
> few days, the machine crashed inexplicably.  The screen still
> displayed, the mouse pointer moved, and the modem would go off hook
> anything typed in  over the console or modem.  On the command line
> at the bottom of the screen there was a message to the effect,
> "there isn't enough memory.  close some windows."  Hmmmm..
> Curious, there is only one window open.

I too have experienced a similar problem on a new 3B1 running 3.51.
Typically, I will log into my Office and enter UNIX.  As the ksh starts
up, my system often hangs completely.

    Note: (Sometimes I make it into the k-shell and execute a few commands
	   before the system hangs.  Other times the system hangs somewhere
	   between login: and Enter Password: !!)

As Bill reported above, the only responses you can get from the kernel are:
    - Mouse pointer movement
    - Moving/resizing Office window

You cannot do the following:
    - Get a shell prompt
    - Close the Office window
    - Use Help
    - Access the Window [W] Icon
    - Access the phone manager ... etc
    - Cannot login on remote terminal - no getty(s) running.

However, if you click the mouse at various points on the Status line, you
can get the following error message (like Bill reported) to appear:

    Error - can't create window - Touch ENTER to continue.

The only recourse is to reboot the system.  There is no indication in the
adm logs of a problem and I have been unable to locate any other signs of
distress.  After reboot, the system runs fine for one or more days and then
the problem repeats.  I have three 3B1 systems and this problem only occurs
on one machine.  The suspect machine has a 2-port expansion board and is
used as the primary machine for uucp (usenet) feed.  These are the only
real differences of note.   Unlike Bill, I have made no modifications to
inittab and I do not have any special programs running which might burn
up system resources.

Anyone out there have any insight into this one!  Any suggestions will
be appreciated.
--
Jeffery Small          (203) 776-2000     UUCP:   uunet!---\
C. Jeffery Small and Associates	                  ihnp4!--- hsi!cjsa!jeff

andys@shlepper.ATT.COM (a.b.sherman) (11/15/87)

In article <47@cjsa.UUCP>, jeff@cjsa.UUCP (C. Jeffery Small) writes:
> [Deleted description of a very sick 3B1]
> the problem repeats.  I have three 3B1 systems and this problem only occurs
> on one machine.  The suspect machine has a 2-port expansion board and is
> used as the primary machine for uucp (usenet) feed.  These are the only

I have never seen the problem, but I have read on the net that there
is one version of the combo board that crashes the 3B1 when a break
is received.  Could that be your problem.  Other folks who have
saved past postings could contribute the revision level that's bad.
--
Andy Sherman / AT&T Bell Laboratories (Medical Diagnostic Systems)
480 Red Hill Road / Middletown NJ 07748 / (201) 615-5708

alex@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Alex S. Crain) (11/15/87)

In article <750@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>A while back somebody posted a suggestion of adding more gettys in
>/etc/inittab to permit several logins at the same time on the
>console. [...] I tried the suggestion, and it seemed to work for a
>while....

I've been running 3 gettys for a while now and have had no crashes, although
the machine does seem to be a trifle confused at times. The most obvious
symptom is the message "You cannot use the Telephone manager without logging
in.", which appears occationaly for no apperent reason. I also have interminate
problems with execl() failing with the error Not a tty, but this may be an
application problem.

						:alex.

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (11/16/87)

In article <750@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>#ifdef lineater
>
>A while back somebody posted a suggestion of adding more gettys in
>/etc/inittab to permit several logins at the same time on the
>console.
>
>I tried the suggestion, and it seemed to work for a while.  After a
>few days, the machine crashed inexplicably.  The screen still
>displayed, the mouse pointer moved, and the modem would go off hook
>anything typed in  over the console or modem.  On the command line
>at the bottom of the screen there was a message to the effect,
>"there isn't enough memory.  close some windows."  Hmmmm..
>Curious, there is only one window open.
>
> ... other problems ...

I think I'm the one that posted the idea of multiple gettys.  You will
consume one window for each getty, *regardless* of whether anybody is
logged in on that getty.  If one or more of those logins is running ua,
it *is* quite possible to run out of windows.  I typically run 6 gettys
on /dev/window, have been doing this for months, and have had no problems.
I did suffer one mystery crash, but I can't attribute it to any window
stuff.  However, to run most ua things I would have to blow off at least
two of the gettys; it seems to me that even 4 once ran me out of windows.

(Flame on:)

I must say that I find ua absolutely **PROFLIGATE** in its use of windows.
There are programs for Mess-DOS that have heaps and gobs of windows with
no multitasking at all.  Why should ua consume a scarce resource, i.e.
one of only 12 /dev/w* devices, just to tell you, OK, bunky, you can press
RETURN now and the world won't end?  What ua needs is a library to allow
subwindows within a given /dev/w* device so that fewer of them are used.
Consuming a new /dev/w* should be like forking a new process:  you do it
when you have to, but you'd prefer to get as much done as possible with
one process.  A message sent by a program is logically part of that program;
you should only spawn a new window when the prospect of *CLICKING BACK AND
FORTH* between parent and child windows is a reasonable way for the program
to be operated.  An extra /dev/w* in place of the typical Press Return to
Continue ???  Sheesh!
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (11/16/87)

<<Discussion about  multiple console window gettys not working>>

I've had mixed results on this one.  I got sevral letters to the
effect, "I've been doing this for the last year, and never had a
problem".  I also received several letters to the effect, "I had
the same results as you."

Perhaps, this is a hardware difference?  I forget what version of
hardware gets displayed at the boot-up at the moment.  I was
playing it very cool and only had one extra console window.  I got
the error message when only one window was awake.  It seems that
when the getty respaws, it grabs new memory for the window, but
doesn't free the previous memeory.  What is odd is that this does
not seem to happen with only one console window.  Perhaps, this
could be a problem in a shared library used for window management.
It could be that oddness happens if the idle getty's memory gets
swapped out.  I'm not sure if this really happens; I've had too
many other irons in the fire to get a chance to check this out.

Diagnostics doesn't report anything out of the ordinary.

-Bill

jeff@cjsa.UUCP (C. Jeffery Small) (11/16/87)

In article <169@shlepper.ATT.COM>, andys@shlepper.ATT.COM (a.b.sherman) writes:
> In article <47@cjsa.UUCP>, jeff@cjsa.UUCP (C. Jeffery Small) writes:
> > [Deleted description of a very sick 3B1]
> > the problem repeats.  I have three 3B1 systems and this problem only occurs
> > on one machine.  The suspect machine has a 2-port expansion board and is
> > used as the primary machine for uucp (usenet) feed.  These are the only

[ Andy Sherman / AT&T replies ...]
> I have never seen the problem, but I have read on the net that there
> is one version of the combo board that crashes the 3B1 when a break
> is received.  Could that be your problem.  Other folks who have
> saved past postings could contribute the revision level that's bad.

Good thought.  However, I checked with the hotline about this problem and
received a replacement IC for the board.  After the upgrade the problem
is still with me.

Today for example, I arrived to find my status line message area filled with
a solid reverse video bar!.  I logged into the Office and entered Unix.  Got
a ksh prompt and typed "ps -e" which did not echo!!! - but the command ran.
Typed "ps -e" again - no echo but command executed.  Typed "ps -e" a third
time and system hung and I had to reboot :-(.

I never did get to try and see what Msg might have told me.  After reboot,
everything works fine once again with no signs of the problem anywhere.

Anyone have any other clues?
--
Jeffery Small          (203) 776-2000     UUCP:   uunet!---\
C. Jeffery Small and Associates	                  ihnp4!--- hsi!cjsa!jeff
123 York Street, New Haven, CT  06511          hao!noao!---/

ford@crash.cts.com (Michael Ditto) (11/21/87)

I have had two gettys running on /dev/window for a few months.  I have
encountered only one problem:  getlogin(3C) does not work correctly
for the second getty (whichever one is last in /etc/inittab).  So,
for example, when running hack, my name is shown as "LOGIN" if I happen
to be on the "second" getty and the first one is idle.  Since there is
no easy way to distinguish the two, it is difficult to log in on the
"correct" window.

It doesn't bother me enough to outweigh the value of that "emergency"
getty in the background, so I have left it.  I don't log in on the console
very much, though.

--

Mike Ditto					-=] Ford [=-
P.O. Box 1721					ford%kenobi@crash.CTS.COM

lynn@engr.uky.edu (H. Lynn Tilley) (11/24/87)

>The only recourse is to reboot the system.  There is no indication in the
>adm logs of a problem and I have been unable to locate any other signs of
>distress.  After reboot, the system runs fine for one or more days and then
>the problem repeats.

The error message you are getting and the fact that rebooting clears
the problem up may indicate that the problem stems from having excess
tmp files or very large log entries.  The 7300's (3b1's) keep a complete
log of all uucp traffic and this file can grow very large, very quickly.
I believe that the file is cleaned once a week by the machine and also
when the machine is rebooted.  Good luck.

--
    V   Engineering Computer Center     BITNET: lynn%ukecc.uucp@ukma
    O   voice: (606) 257-1752           ARPANET: lynn@a.ecc.engr.uky.edu

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (11/29/87)

As quoted from <2031@crash.cts.com> by ford@crash.cts.com (Michael Ditto):
+---------------
| I have had two gettys running on /dev/window for a few months.  I have
| encountered only one problem:  getlogin(3C) does not work correctly
| for the second getty (whichever one is last in /etc/inittab).  So,
| for example, when running hack, my name is shown as "LOGIN" if I happen
| to be on the "second" getty and the first one is idle.  Since there is
| no easy way to distinguish the two, it is difficult to log in on the
| "correct" window.
+---------------

The fix is quite easy:  link /dev/window to another name or two, such as
/dev/window1 and /dev/window2; then specify a different name for each of
the getty's.  Then getlogin() can easily determine the correct window.
--
Brandon S. Allbery		      necntc!ncoast!allbery@harvard.harvard.edu
 {hoptoad,harvard!necntc,cbosgd,sun!mandrill!hal,uunet!hnsurg3}!ncoast!allbery

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (12/02/87)

As quoted from <1810@ukecc.engr.uky.edu> by lynn@engr.uky.edu (H. Lynn Tilley):
+---------------
| >The only recourse is to reboot the system.  There is no indication in the
| >adm logs of a problem and I have been unable to locate any other signs of
| >distress.  After reboot, the system runs fine for one or more days and then
| >the problem repeats.
|
| The error message you are getting and the fact that rebooting clears
| the problem up may indicate that the problem stems from having excess
| tmp files or very large log entries.  The 7300's (3b1's) keep a complete
+---------------

I was using my 3B1 yesterday to do word processing, so I turned on the printer
and then left it on later.  A few hours after I was done printing, the
system suddenly slowed down and smgr began reading the disk and updating the
status line once per second.  Also, the "windaemon" process (pid == 3) began
racking up enormous amounts of CPU time.  This went on for about an hour,
during which I checked everything I could think of; then gave up and went to
bed, expecting the computer to have crashed in the morning... got up again
and shut off the printer.  And the computer quieted down.  I let it sit for
a few minutes, then powered up the printer again... the disk started "ticking"
again, once per second, and smgr began updating once/second again; and it
stopped when I powered the printer down again.  For those interested, I use
a Tandy DMP105 (for final copies, I create a floppy and print it on my boss's
LaserJet+).

Anyway, I suspect that the parallel printer driver sends some unexpected
interrupts which tickle the kernel in some strange ways.  It is possible,
given the effect on "windaemon"'s CPU time, that this might be a cause for
peoples' spurious "too many windows open" crashes as well.