[comp.sys.att] Help needed with AT&T 6300 hard disk problem!!

strianta@killer.UUCP (11/27/87)

Help! The following problem started happening after I moved my AT&T 6300 PC
from Michigan to Indiana (Shipdisked it and drove it at 55mph :-) in its
original carton/packing)

Initially I got 3 hard disk errors in a period of 2 months, and light use.
Message was in all cases (either read or write) Drive C not ready, abort, retry
etc. Diagnostics (customer) showed no problem.

Then one day it really hit the fan. Could not do anyththing with drive C,
without getting TONS of said errors. Diagnostics said DISK & DRIVE CONTROLLER
TIME OUT (?). I low- and high- level formatted the drive with no avail.
Format went thrui once and said not ready, immediately after said OK. Still
same problem.

Now that I use the system from floppyu only, after half an hour or so of use the
system (drive) makes funny seeking noises, but without me referencing it. The
seek light does not come on. The noises are similar to the ones done while tryiotrying to reboot.

A friendly technician said that probably the controller is shot. What is
your opinion, Oh Net? AT&T won't sell me the advanced diagnostics, at least the few authorized dealers in the Indy  area won't.

I would like some opinions or educated guesses before taking the box to service.
Any help will be appreciated, and as usual, I will summarize if interesting
facts arise. Remember, it is an AT&T 6300 with its original 20 MB hard disk
and controller from AT&T. I think the controller is an RLL western digital,
while the drive is a seagate.

Thanks much!

Spiros
--

Spiros Trianta
...!ihnp4!killer!strianta

jec@nesac2.UUCP (John Carter ATLN SADM) (11/30/87)

]
] Initially I got 3 hard disk errors in a period of 2 months, and light use.
] Message was in all cases (either read or write) Drive C not ready, abort, retry
] etc. Diagnostics (customer) showed no problem.
]
] Then one day it really hit the fan. Could not do anyththing with drive C,
] without getting TONS of said errors. Diagnostics said DISK & DRIVE CONTROLLER
] TIME OUT (?). I low- and high- level formatted the drive with no avail.
] Format went thrui once and said not ready, immediately after said OK. Still
] same problem.
]
] Now that I use the system from floppyu only, after half an hour or so of use the
] system (drive) makes funny seeking noises, but without me referencing it. The
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sounds more like a controller (or bus) problem than a drive.

] seek light does not come on. The noises are similar to the ones done while tryiotrying to reboot.
]
] A friendly technician said that probably the controller is shot. What is
] your opinion, Oh Net? AT&T won't sell me the advanced diagnostics,
Have you tried the 800 number?  There's very little that they won't
sell - dealers are sometimes more interested in doing the work....
as they said in TV repair - "Captive service is a captive buck"
Seriously though, try ordering the 6300 Service Manual - it has the
diagnostic disks in the back (including low level format, read/write
tests, etc).
There are some good PD diagnostics for the 6300 - almost as good as
the 'official' ones.
] at least the few authorized dealers in the Indy  area won't.
]
] I would like some opinions or educated guesses before taking the box to service.
] Any help will be appreciated, and as usual, I will summarize if interesting
] facts arise. Remember, it is an AT&T 6300 with its original 20 MB hard disk
] and controller from AT&T. I think the controller is an RLL western digital,
                                                         ^^^
No RLL on a 20 meg Seagate drive - the original ST225's are not that
level of media (and I have one that's gone thru two Seagate drives
in less than 90 days - it sits on a table and the drive still ate
itself).

] while the drive is a seagate.
                       ^^^^^^^
See comments above.
--
USnail: John Carter, AT&T, Atlanta RWC, 3001 Cobb Parkway, Atlanta GA 30339
Video:	...ihnp4!cuea2!ltuxa!ll1!nesac2!jec    Voice: 404+951-4642

rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) (11/30/87)

In article <2225@killer.UUCP>, strianta@killer.UUCP (Spiros Trianta) writes:
> Then one day it really hit the fan. Could not do anyththing with drive C,
> without getting TONS of said errors. Diagnostics said DISK & DRIVE CONTROLLER
> TIME OUT (?). I low- and high- level formatted the drive with no avail.
> Format went thrui once and said not ready, immediately after said OK. Still
> same problem.
>
> Now that I use the system from floppyu only, after half an hour or so of use the
> system (drive) makes funny seeking noises, but without me referencing it. The
> seek light does not come on. The noises are similar to the ones done while tryiotrying to reboot.
>
> A friendly technician said that probably the controller is shot. What is
> your opinion, Oh Net? AT&T won't sell me the advanced diagnostics, at least the few authorized dealers in the Indy  area won't.
>
> I would like some opinions or educated guesses before taking the box to service.
> Any help will be appreciated, and as usual, I will summarize if interesting
> facts arise. Remember, it is an AT&T 6300 with its original 20 MB hard disk
> and controller from AT&T. I think the controller is an RLL western digital,
> while the drive is a seagate.
>
> Thanks much!
>
> Spiros
> --
>
> Spiros Trianta
> ...!ihnp4!killer!strianta

It is probably not an RLL controller, just your basic Western Digital
PCXT controller.  I would call the hotline about the diagnostic disk
(800-922-0354) they have sent me several disks of specialized software
to solve various problems.

Second, I would try swapping the controller with one from work, assuming that
someone at work has a PC6300 and wouldn't mind you borrowing the
controller overnight.  If that doesn't fix it, try your controller with
a known good harddisk (after backing it up!).

Russ Sharples
homxc!rps

NOTE:

The above in NO WAY reflects the opinions of AT&T.
These opinions are my own and the results of un-scientific and
highly irregular analysis methods.

gardner@kodak.UUCP (dick gardner) (12/01/87)

In article <2306@homxc.UUCP> rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) writes:
>In article <2225@killer.UUCP>, strianta@killer.UUCP (Spiros Trianta) writes:
>> Then one day it really hit the fan. Could not do anyththing with drive C,
>> without getting TONS of said errors. ............
		[ deleted a few lines ]
                [ and a few suggestions ]
>Second, I would try swapping the controller with one from work, assuming that
>someone at work has a PC6300 and wouldn't mind you borrowing the
>controller overnight.  If that doesn't fix it, try your controller with
>a known good harddisk (after backing it up!).       \____________/

			 I'd be VERY careful with this! ----|

My advice is : Don't EVEN THINK about trying this if the controllers are
	       different!!
Controllers are married to the hard disk.  The only way to get a disk to
work properly when changing to DIFFERENT disk controller is to do a low-
level format.  I'm speaking from (limited) experience on this. I don't
know what to expect if both controllers are the same type and brand, however.
This might work OK.
If I could amend the advice above:  try another controller IF its the same
type and brand.  If it doesn't work, MAYBE you have a bad controller.
If you can find a friend with a hard disk controller of the same type and
brand, (and you can sweet-talk him into allowing it) try READING his disk
using your controller.  If you can't read, you MIGHT have a bad controller.
If all else fails, since you have everthing backed up 8-) 8-), you might
try a low-level format with your original controller. If none of this
works, you probably need to hire some good technical help.

Good luck,

=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#
   Dick Gardner -- Eastman Kodak Co.  Rochester, New York  14650
                   Phone: (716) 477-1002
                   UUCP: {allegra,rutgers}!rochester!kodak!gardner
  "Oh yeah?!? Well, MY computer is SOOOOO FAST, it executes an infinite
     						loop in 6 seconds!!!"
=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#

ugweinst@sunybcs.uucp (Michael Weinstein) (12/01/87)

	In reference to AT&T Hard drives, I was wondering if anyone
	knew of a way to use a legit 86 Meg AT&T Hard Drive with an
	IBM PC. I doubt if there is a way, but I have one available
	to me, and if possible, I would like to utilize it. Any help
	would be GREATLY appreciated.

	ugweinst@sunybcs <Michael S. Weinstein>

brian@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Brian Kantor) (12/02/87)

In article <6913@sunybcs.UUCP> ugweinst@joey.UUCP (Michael Weinstein) writes:

>	In reference to AT&T Hard drives, I was wondering if anyone
>	knew of a way to use a legit 86 Meg AT&T Hard Drive with an
>	IBM PC. I doubt if there is a way, but I have one available
>	to me, and if possible, I would like to utilize it. Any help
>	would be GREATLY appreciated.
>	ugweinst@sunybcs <Michael S. Weinstein>
>	-----------------------------------------------------------

To use ANY hard drive with an IBM PC or PC/XT, you just have to set up
the tables that are used to describe the drive to the system.  This
varies from controller to controller in its exact details, but this
example may help you do it to yours.

In the DTC 5150BX controller, there is a table in the ROM contained on
the controller card that is accessable to the BIOS when the machine
boots.  There is also a switch.  The switch is set to point to the
proper table entry to use for each of the two possible drives on that
controller.  I assume that other XT compatable controllers work similarly.

In the ROM table there are entries for 4 items of importance that change
from drive to drive.  These are 1) the number of cylinders, 2) the
number of heads, 3) the cylinder upon which to reduce write current, and
4) the cylinder on which to change write precompensation.  There are
other things in there that you can change, but you probably won't have to.

If you know or can find out these for your drive, you can configure your
controller to accept the drive.  All you have to do is burn a new rom.
Since you can read the old rom without pulling it out of the board (it's
memory mapped into c800:0000 [I think that's the right address], you can
just move a copy of it with DEBUG, make the changes, save them on disk,
and then fire up your ROM burner.  After you've got the new rom,
disconnect your good disk, stick in the new rom and drive, and go for it.
Most controllers have an entry specifically reserved for use with
"custom" or nonstandard drives, so you can use that if you're not
already using it for your existing hard drive.

I've done this with several different drives - in fact, it's so easy,
that this is how I test surplus drives, since I have little other use
for an IBM PC, and it takes only a few minutes.

Enjoy.  Try not to break anything.

	Brian Kantor	UC San Diego

   "There is more harmony in films than in life."
	- Francois Truffaut

enchant@oliveb.UUCP (Dan Crocker) (12/03/87)

In article <1048@kodak.UUCP>, gardner@kodak.UUCP (dick gardner) writes:
> In article <2306@homxc.UUCP> rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) writes:
> >In article <2225@killer.UUCP>, strianta@killer.UUCP (Spiros Trianta) writes:
> >> Then one day it really hit the fan. Could not do anyththing with drive C,
> >> without getting TONS of said errors. ............
> 		[ deleted a few lines ]
>                 [ and a few suggestions ]
> >Second, I would try swapping the controller with one from work, assuming that
> >someone at work has a PC6300 and wouldn't mind you borrowing the
> >controller overnight.  If that doesn't fix it, try your controller with
> >a known good harddisk (after backing it up!).       \____________/
> 			 I'd be VERY careful with this! ----|
>
> My advice is : Don't EVEN THINK about trying this if the controllers are
> 	       different!!
> I'm speaking from (limited) experience on this. I don't
> know what to expect if both controllers are the same type and brand, however.

I swap controllers of the same type all the time with no problems at all.  The
only reason to be careful is that, with XT-type machines, there is no real
consistency in track formats (with AT compatibles, the situation is a lot
better).  But if you find the same model controller and you can't read your
disk with it either, it's most likely a disk problem.

				dan