[comp.sys.att] Amiga Tech reference manuals

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (12/01/87)

Forgive me if this is a Commonly Asked Question, but I am but an
egg in the use of this newsgroup and wish to become enlightened.

I was in Walden's last night looking at the tech ref manuals.
(gag!  $35!)  And it didn't say anything about which version
of the OS the manuals referred to.  So I'm being a little bit
reluctant to buy these books before knowing that my $100 won't
be wasted with 1.4 comes out this summer/fall/whenever.

These manuals look like they'd be kinda ... fun ... getting into. :-)

I'd certainly be open to cheaper ways of getting the same information...

--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

dca@toylnd.UUCP (12/04/87)

In article <7800@e.ms.uky.edu>, david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) writes:
> Forgive me if this is a Commonly Asked Question, but I am but an
> egg in the use of this newsgroup and wish to become enlightened.
>
> I was in Walden's last night looking at the tech ref manuals.
> (gag!  $35!)  And it didn't say anything about which version
> of the OS the manuals referred to.  So I'm being a little bit
> reluctant to buy these books before knowing that my $100 won't
> be wasted with 1.4 comes out this summer/fall/whenever.

Did you really mean to post this to comp.sys.att?  comp.sys.amiga might have
been more appropriate.  In any case, if you are referring to the Amiga
Rom Kernel manual set (RKMs, Intuition, Hardware) as far as I know of they
haven't been revised and still refer to 1.1.  They are still very useful
and much of the information still applies.  It would be nice to get a
set revised for 1.2 if you are buying them now but I'm not sure if such a
beast exists.  I wouldn't worry too much about 1.3 etc.. it'll be a while
in coming and given that 1.2 is in ROM on the machines going out the door
today it will be much more of a firm standard than 1.1 was for the 1000.
In any case 1.2 manuals will still be useful when later releases come out.
The most up to date documentation is available in disk form (autodocs) and
is available straight from Commodore.  There are Commodore people on the
net that read comp.sys.amiga try querying there and you might have better
luck.

David Albrecht