[comp.sys.att] Anybody

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (12/01/87)

Hi,

I was wondering if any real-world type people out there have
managed to nab HDB uucp.  System V uucp is woking to a point, but
I'm finding the six character limitation on machine names to be a
problem.  Serval of the machines I want to exchange mail with are
non-unique in the first six characters.  The result is that mail
winds up not getting delivered properly.  I also have problems with
the host that I talk to, neoucom, not recognizing my machine,
impulse, when I poll them for my mail.  Neoucom says, oh impuls is
calling in, that ain't in my systems file, I'm not gunna forward
any mail there.  I don't really want to rename my system.

I asked a person who has a license to the Sys V, version 2 source
to look at the files used to build uucp.  He told me that removing
the system naming restrictions would be more difficult than
changing a few #defines.  Apparently, the restrictions are pretty
much embeded.  I haven't seen the code (for obvious reasons!), so I
take him at his word that it isnt't worth thinking about
modifications of the 3b1's uucp.

Does anybody know what the rationale for chopping off system
names (including your own system's) to six characters in uucp is?
Or, am I just being stupid and missing something?

--Bill

sean@killer.UUCP (Sean McCollister) (12/01/87)

In article <797@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

> Does anybody know what the rationale for chopping off system
> names (including your own system's) to six characters in uucp is?
> Or, am I just being stupid and missing something?
>

> --Bill

	The problem here is actually in the form files the User Agent uses
for input.  There's a variable in the form files called Flen (I think) that
you can modify to allow an entry of more than 6 characters.  I'm not sure
what the names of the form files are (I'm an "unreal" AT&T type :-) and have
HDB), but they reside in /usr/lib/ua; I think they're called Lsys[something-
or-other].form.

	If you don't want to edit those form files, you can set your node name
by logging in as root and executing setuname -s systemname -n systemname.
No six-character restriction applies with this.  For the names of other systems
you communicate with, just edit /usr/lib/uucp/L.sys, and make any changes to
the system names listed you need to.  This is what I used to do before I
got ahold of HDB.

	Just as an aside, I also wish it were possible for the multitudes
to get HDB.  The uucp that comes with the 3B1 is pretty pathetic.

							Sean

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (12/02/87)

The six-letter system name restriction seems to be hard-coded into
/usr/lib/uucp/uucio itself.  I asked the administrator here to
examine his copy of Sys V, relase 2.  Apparently, uucico is built
from cico.c, pk0, pk..., and uucp.h found in /usr/src/cmd/uucp.
He told me that there is an #ifdef for SYSNSIZE in uucp.h, but
alas, there are many places in the code that have the decimal
constant 6 "hardwired in" dealing with the system name size.  Since
I do not have a license **I have not looked at this code** (which
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
is for the vax release anyway).

If the uucp on the 3b1 is built from the same source code and
SYSNSIZE was not undef'ed at compile time, AND the code was not
fixed-up to change the constants to #ifdefs, then there isn't much
hope for the 3b1.

Uisng setuname doesn't seem to help, uucico always still logs into
the other machine with Shere=impuls.

Happy holidays,
Bill

sean@killer.UUCP (Sean McCollister) (12/03/87)

In article <2274@killer.UUCP>, I wrote:

> 	The problem here is actually in the form files the User Agent uses
> for input.  There's a variable in the form files called Flen (I think) that
> you can modify to allow an entry of more than 6 characters.  I'm not sure
> what the names of the form files are (I'm an "unreal" AT&T type :-) and have
> HDB), but they reside in /usr/lib/ua; I think they're called Lsys[something-
> or-other].form.

	The form file for setting the mail name of your system is
/usr/lib/ua/Namesys.form.  Flen is set to 6, so you'd have only to change
that to a larger number to get a longer node name.

	As far as "Mail Names of Other Systems" is concerned, the only
easy fix (that I'm aware of, anyway) is to edit /usr/lib/uucp/L.sys.
UA calls /usr/bin/mailsetup to set up connections to other systems.  That
program is "mc68k executable" and doesn't use form files.

	Sorry 'bout the incorrect info.

							Sean

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (12/04/87)

In article <2292@killer.UUCP>, sean@killer.UUCP (Sean McCollister) writes:
> > or-other].form.
>
> 	The form file for setting the mail name of your system is
> /usr/lib/ua/Namesys.form.  Flen is set to 6, so you'd have only to change
> that to a larger number to get a longer node name.

In the copy of version 3.51 that I received,
/usr/lib/ua/Namesys.form already has Flen = 8 as delivered from the
Gods at AT&T.  That doesn't seem to matter to uucp which blithely
still pipes up with Shere=impuls (instead of impulse) when uucp
from another system logs in.  It is true that the mail headers
gnerated (by mailx) have the full name, impulse, in them so UNAME
is getting set correctly.

(filler line)
(filler line)
(filler line)