[comp.sys.att] Accessing Expansion Box HDU on 6300 PLUS running Simul-Task

F3U@PSUVM.BITNET (12/01/87)

Here's the scenerio:

I have a 6300 PLUS with one floppy and an internal 20Mb Hard disk.
The internal drive is partiioned as 5% DOS and 95% UNIX.  I just
installed AT&T's Expansion Tape Drive/Hard Disk Unit.  Everything works
(or seems to).  What I'm trying to do is to access the Expansion
Box's Hard disk as an MS-DOS (it's 100% DOS) disk, but Simul-Task
will not allow it.  The UNIX partition is C: (and D:), and the DOS
partition of the internal drive is drive E:.  The Hotline
says it can't be done.  Does anyone on the net know of a way
to access this drive from DOS while running Simul-Task???

                             Thanks in advance
                             Frank

james@druco.UUCP (12/03/87)

In article <26430F3U@PSUVM>, F3U@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
> Here's the scenerio:
>
> I have a 6300 PLUS with one floppy and an internal 20Mb Hard disk.
> The internal drive is partiioned as 5% DOS and 95% UNIX.  I just
> installed AT&T's Expansion Tape Drive/Hard Disk Unit.  Everything works
> (or seems to).  What I'm trying to do is to access the Expansion
> Box's Hard disk as an MS-DOS (it's 100% DOS) disk, but Simul-Task
> will not allow it.  The UNIX partition is C: (and D:), and the DOS
> partition of the internal drive is drive E:.  The Hotline
> says it can't be done.  Does anyone on the net know of a way
> to access this drive from DOS while running Simul-Task???
>

>                              Thanks in advance
>                              Frank

Simultask only can see what is on drive C: for dos (drive E: for
sumultask).  It's in the manuals!

-----------------
James B. Davis (Jim), UNIX(tm) Systems Programmer
User Interface Group
AT&T Information Systems Laboratories
11900 North Pecos Street, 31G44
Denver, Colorado  80234

303/538-1647, Cornet 374-1647
Computing and Telecommunications Tech. Dept., Dept. XMRB50000 (DRCC)
[ihnp4]!druco!james (or read the Email header!)

UNIX is a registered TM of AT&T, UTS is a registered TM of Amdahl Corp.
Everything else is a (TM) or (C) of whoever claims to own it.
NOTE: My opinions are my own and not of my employer(s).

alan@coplex.UUCP (W. Alan Bunch) (12/08/87)

In article <26430F3U@PSUVM>, F3U@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
> Here's the scenerio:
>
> I have a 6300 PLUS with one floppy and an internal 20Mb Hard disk.
> The internal drive is partiioned as 5% DOS and 95% UNIX.  I just
> installed AT&T's Expansion Tape Drive/Hard Disk Unit.  Everything works
> (or seems to).  What I'm trying to do is to access the Expansion
> Box's Hard disk as an MS-DOS (it's 100% DOS) disk, but Simul-Task
> will not allow it.  The UNIX partition is C: (and D:), and the DOS
> partition of the internal drive is drive E:.  The Hotline
> says it can't be done.  Does anyone on the net know of a way
> to access this drive from DOS while running Simul-Task???

I am running MicroPort with a beta DOSMerge and I have the same problem.
I also must say that the MicroPort DOS utils ie doscat, dosdir et all ahve
the same problem.  They all just refuse to do anything with the DOS partition
on the SECOND drive on the CONTROLER.  My solution was to give the second drive
to a single UNIX partition and use DOSMerge (Simul-Task) to get at it.
Since they both can use a UNIX file system it is not a problem.  One cravat
is DOSMerge (Simul-Task) is slow to get at the UNIX/DOS file system.

Since both of these products come from the same port and are very closely
related this should be the case.

Hope this helps.  Fell free to to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Later
Alan Bunch
bloom-becan!coplex!alan
9519 Stillridge Place