[comp.sys.att] GSS-TERMINAL

mikulska@sdcsvax.UUCP (12/05/87)

I am trying to install the GSS-TERMINAL on my 3B1 (2 MB on board
+ 67 MB disk). I set up /dev/ph1 as the communication port for
this application.

Problem: all I get is a window with the title page of the package;
then, instead of displaying the "home screen" window, as described
in the manual, my system hangs up and does nothing. The "working"
icon in the lower right corner is on, but the disk is silent, so
I'm pretty sure it is not doing anything.

If I nudge it with the mouse, I get error message "communication
hardware not present" and the window disappears. An info msg claims
that a terminal was created in Filecabinet, but I certainly can't find
it anywhere.

Anybody knows what's going on ? Am I really missing some hardware ?
Heavens forbid, do I need the RS 232 expansion board ?

Help, ye netters ! I need tek4014 emulation very badly !
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

========
	Margaret Mikulska

mikulska@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
sdcsvax!mikulska

leonard@acf4.UUCP (shanna leonard) (12/09/87)

>mikulska@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Margaret Mikulska) writes:
>
>I am trying to install the GSS-TERMINAL on my 3B1 (2 MB on board
>>+ 67 MB disk). I set up /dev/ph1 as the communication port for
>this application.

>Problem: all I get is a window with the title page of the package;
>then, instead of displaying the "home screen" window, as described
>in the manual, my system hangs up and does nothing. The "working"
>icon in the lower right corner is on, but the disk is silent, so
>I'm pretty sure it is not doing anything.
>
>If I nudge it with the mouse, I get error message "communication
>hardware not present" and the window disappears. An info msg claims
>that a terminal was created in Filecabinet, but I certainly can't find
>it anywhere.

You probably have not configured your phone ports, so that, even though
the line is connected, GSS-Terminal doesn't see it. Use the telephone
setup entry in Hardware setup menu to enable both phone lines (even if
you actually only have a connection to the second).

Shanna Leonard
Systems Group
New York University

zam@mhuxu.UUCP (Martin Zam) (12/09/87)

	I've been happily using the 4014 emulator from the STORE! for
the last couple of weeks.  I am using an RS-232 port, but I've seen nothing
to make me believe that this wouldn't work with the on board modem.

	One CAVEAT though,  is that this will not work with more than one
terminal emulator running at any time.  I don't imagine this is a problem for
you since you mention that you are using the OBM.

					Martin Zam
					mhuxu!zam