[comp.sys.att] opening a 3B1, 68881 FPU

thad@cup.portal.com (12/07/87)

Anyone know the "secret" to opening up a 3B1?  After removing all the
screws everywhere (even the two hidden ones under the posts that secure
the keyboard when it's placed on the system unit), the front edge still
seems to be attached to "something."

Also, the parts and documentation lists that accompany the system
strongly suggest a 68881 can be plugged into the system.  See the UNIX
PC Service and Parts Ordering Information pamplet that was in the pouch
of the Owner's Manual (for 3.51), first page of the Parts List, item:

     COMCODE          DESCRIPTION

     105160253        Math Acc. Unit MC68881

also, on the LAST page of that pamphlet:

     405176785        Expansion Unit
      405198854       Ethernet Board

WHAT is the ``Expansion Unit''?  Something that will permit more than
three plugin cards?

Anyone know if there's a SCSI adapter card for the 3B1 too?

Thanks in advance!

wjc@ho5cad.ATT.COM (12/10/87)

In article <1836@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com writes:
>Anyone know the "secret" to opening up a 3B1?  After removing all the
>screws everywhere (even the two hidden ones under the posts that secure
>the keyboard when it's placed on the system unit), the front edge still
>seems to be attached to "something."

Keep tugging and it'll come.  You really need three hands for this.  I
find that if I press the front lip upwards and then lift up on the two
"wings" beside the monitor, I can just about get it  off before it all
snaps itself  back  together.   Usually  takes  me several  iterations
before  it finally lets me  win.  (Expect a similar   but not quite so
tough battle when you want to put it back on.)

Like so many  other things in life,  this is not  so much a  matter of
force, but of position.

(I'm presuming that you've already made sure the floppy drive lever is
out of the way, as well as the speaker volume control.)

	Bill Carpenter
	(AT&T gateways)!ho5cad!wjc
	HO 1L-410, (201)949-8392

jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) (12/11/87)

In article <1836@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com writes:
>Anyone know the "secret" to opening up a 3B1?

There are three little rachet hooks, just pry the case out from the front
a little at each of the three liitle hooks.

>Also, the parts and documentation lists that accompany the system
>strongly suggest a 68881 can be plugged into the system.

I talked with the UNIXpc developement group at AT&T. They said the board
WAS actually made. However, the 68881 was designed to be a co-processor
for the 68020, not the 68010 in the UNIXpc. As a result it had to be used
as a 16 bit I/O device with an emulated co-processor interface. This hurt
performance so much they decided NOT to produce the board. My personal
thinking is that someone goofed somewhere.

>     405176785        Expansion Unit

You can put anything except memory boards in this. Plug in memory INSIDE
the UNIXpc already gets one extra wait state over the mother board.

>Anyone know if there's a SCSI adapter card for the 3B1 too?

You may have heard the rumor that everyone else has. I hope it's true as
multiple disk expansion is doomed otherwise.

John

--
John Bly Milton IV, jbm@uncle.UUCP, {ihnp4|cbosgd}!n8emr!uncle!jbm
home: (614) 294-4823, work: (614) 424-7677, FLAME via email :)