[comp.sys.att] European->US power

brown@cs.rochester.edu (Chris Brown) (12/02/87)

If I wanted to take my 3b1 to England for a year, could I find a
box to convert their 50Hz 220V into good old american 60Hz 110?
'Twould be even better if same box would serve here as a power
conditioner and surge suppressor and UPS and all that good
stuff here in the USA.

Thanks for any help.

	Chris Brown
	(brown@cs.rochester.edu)

hrs@homxb.UUCP (12/04/87)

In article <4671@sol.ARPA>, brown@cs.rochester.edu (Chris Brown) writes:
> If I wanted to take my 3b1 to England for a year, could I find a
> box to convert their 50Hz 220V into good old american 60Hz 110?
> 'Twould be even better if same box would serve here as a power
> conditioner and surge suppressor and UPS and all that good
> stuff here in the USA.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> 	Chris Brown
> 	(brown@cs.rochester.edu)

220 > 117 volt stepdown transformers are readily available.  Just get one

f a sufficient Va rating.  Don't worry about the 50 > }i60 Hz, it's
all rectified anyway.

The 6}i300 can be strapped for 200 V operation.

Herman Silbiger  batavier!hrs.

jeremyc@quad1.quad.com (Jeremy Chatfield) (12/06/87)

> 220 > 117 volt stepdown transformers are readily available.  Just get one
>
> f a sufficient Va rating.  Don't worry about the 50 > }i60 Hz, it's
> all rectified anyway.
>
> The 6}i300 can be strapped for 200 V operation.

Be careful,  England does not use 220V but 240V. Whilst  a machine strapped
for 200V would probably be ok with a 10% overload (200->220), the 20%
overload of 240V might do some damage. 240->110V transformers are readily
available in England.

Jeremy Chatfield, Quadratron Systems (UK) Ltd.  ihnp4!psivax!quad1!jeremyc
						 mc0/ gould/

jeffm@mmintl.UUCP (Jeffrey Miller) (12/16/87)

*
There have been several comments about using 6300s and 7300/3B1s in Europe.
The question is about power and it has been generalized too much.  It is
true that the 6300 has a jumper in the power supply to switch from 110 to
220 volts.  With the green monitor, this is all you have to do to use it
in Europe.  The same is *not* necessarily true about the 7300/3B1.  The
6300 is made by Olivetti, the 7300 by Convergent Technologies, and the
only thing they have in common is the label they are shipped with.  I do
not know if the 7300/3B1 has this jumper or the equivalent, but before
anyone assumes they will have no problem moving a 7300 to Europe, they
need to check this out.

Jeff
--
* Jeff Miller                                                              *
* Multimate International, an Ashton-Tate Co.                              *