[comp.sys.att] Request for recommendations for an uninterruptible power supply

wilber@alice.UUCP (12/14/87)

Can someone give me recommendations for a good, reasonably priced
uninterruptible power supply suitable for a loaded 3B1 (ideally with enough
power left over for a 5620 terminal and an external modem, although they don't
*have* to be on it).  Here in beautiful Madison, NJ the electrical power is
none too reliable.  Every few weeks the power just goes off for about 10
seconds, then comes back on.  Fortunately the disk heads seem to retract when
this happens (clunk!) and so far I haven't had a disk crash.  Also, by sheer
luck the file system has not got out of sync.  But obviously it's just a matter
of time before disaster strikes.  Given the nature of the problem a UPS that
can supply power for just a minute or two should be sufficient.  I already use
a surge protector but obviously no surge protector can save you when the power
goes out for several seconds.

Bob Wilber       wilber@research.att.com

dca@toylnd.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) (12/18/87)

In article <7536@alice.UUCP>, wilber@alice.UUCP writes:
> Can someone give me recommendations for a good, reasonably priced
> uninterruptible power supply suitable for a loaded 3B1 (ideally with enough
> power left over for a 5620 terminal and an external modem, although they don't
> *have* to be on it).

I use an UPS at work which comes from a place called KNAPCO which advertises
regularly in Computer Shopper.  It's a High pass filtered square wave output
standby style UPS that switches in 2ms.  It has been reliable.  A very
nearby lightning strike did zorch one, however.  It also took out a phone
and a MAC serial port.  They sent us a replacement board for free but I
had to do some soldering to put it in.  We use the 550 watt model at work
which they advertise for $399.  Back when we got them about 6-8 months ago
we got a quantity discount and got them for about $350 each (we bought 3).
They have a 200 ($279), 350 ($299), 550 ($399), 800 ($599), and 1000 ($699)
watt models.  These are some of the better per watt costs I've found.

David Albrecht