[net.movies] Pauline at the Beach - a different view

lipman@decwrl.UUCP (10/05/83)

From: Ed Featherston  HL01-1/P06  225-5241 <roll::featherston>

 Begin Forwarded Message:

Newsgroup : net.movies
>From : EIFFEL::BLICKSTEIN
Subject: Pauline at the Beach - a different view

I enjoyed Pauline at the beach.  To me, it's strength was engaging dialogue.
The rest of the film seems to be skillfully crafted to highlight the dialogue.
The cinematography is a good example.  The camera stayed fixed for long periods
of time.  There was very little cutting from one angle to another, which for
most films would produce a boring film.  But in this case,  I think a lot of
cutting would have diverted attention away from what was being said.

I did not find the characters to be stereotypes.  I found them to be
believeable people that I wouldn't be surprised to meet.  Having the burden
of a more involved plot would have required more investment in plot
development which again might have taken away opportunities for some of
the many conversations in the film.

Although the film was very different from "My Dinner with Andre", I think
those who enjoyed that film might enjoy "Pauline".  I can understand people
not liking these kinds of films.  "Andre" was so unusual in that it seemed
like the cinema was a strange media for this story, but it seems to work
so well.  I hope we begin to see more films like this.

I don't understand your question about wanting to live in a deterministic
universe.

	db

		Mail address : ...decvax!decwrl!rhea!eiffel!blickstein

 End Forwarded Message