[comp.sys.att] Care to comment on the AT&T 6386?

riddle@woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle ) (12/22/87)

There have been some generic discussions of the 3B1 in this newsgroup aimed
at people trying to decide whether or not to buy the machine, but I have yet
to see any discussion of the 6386 for neophytes.  I know there are some 6386
owners out there -- care to say what you think of the machine so far?  We
are about to evaluate it on trial and would like to know what to look for.

Please send short comments to me for summary or post longer, more detailed
ones directly to comp.sys.att.  Thanks.

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Shriners Burns Institute.
--- riddle@woton.UUCP  {ihnp4,harvard}!ut-sally!im4u!woton!riddle

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (12/24/87)

In article <1015@woton.UUCP>, riddle@woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle ) writes:
> There have been some generic discussions of the 3B1 in this newsgroup aimed
> at people trying to decide whether or not to buy the machine, but I have yet
> to see any discussion of the 6386 for neophytes.  I know there are some 6386
> owners out there -- care to say what you think of the machine so far?  We
> are about to evaluate it on trial and would like to know what to look for.

I have used a 6386 under UNIX and under MS-DOS for several weeks.
The UNIX is a pre-release that's being beta-tested.  It is noticably
faster than the 3B-1.  Its hardware is buss-compatible with the IBM
PC-AT and with the Compaq '386 -- which means you can buy expansion
devices from a multitude of sources!  The administrative interface
(as available in the pre-release UNIX) is less user-friendly than
that provided under the User Agent of the 3B-1.  It comes with HDB
UUCP, and SYS V R 3 (and also MS-Windows).  To run UNIX, you need at
least 2 MBytes of ram, and 4 Mbytes (which fill one expansion board)
work even better.  Haven't seen the DOS-Merge yet.
--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		A node for news.

twh@mibte.UUCP (Tim Hitchcock) (12/24/87)

In article <1015@woton.UUCP>, riddle@woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle ) writes:
> There have been some generic discussions of the 3B1 in this newsgroup aimed
> at people trying to decide whether or not to buy the machine, but I have yet
> to see any discussion of the 6386 for neophytes.  I know there are some 6386
> owners out there -- care to say what you think of the machine so far?  We
> are about to evaluate it on trial and would like to know what to look for.
>
> Please send short comments to me for summary or post longer, more detailed
> ones directly to comp.sys.att.  Thanks.
>
> --- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
> --- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Shriners Burns Institute.
> --- riddle@woton.UUCP  {ihnp4,harvard}!ut-sally!im4u!woton!riddle

I have one on loan to me that I've used for a month with both DOS and UNIX
(not Simultask).  It has a very fast response to the screen.  Instantaneous
ls response. Both the CPU and the Disk are fast. It allows a large amount
of storage. Supports TCP/IP with streams, X-windows. Will allow multiple (24)
remote ascii terminals.
You can use any XT or AT compatible cards/crts/lans/etc. 48 MB memory.
Enhanced keyboard. So far it looks like a nice machine.