[comp.sys.att] Can't Format a Floppy Disk!

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (12/19/87)

Whenever I try to format a floppy disk on my 3B2/400, I get a verify
error, usually on track 0, side 0.  the HOTLINE suggested changing NPROC
in steps of 38, starting at the default 60.  NPROC = 136 let me format
an AT&T floppy, but nothing I've tried lets me format a Fuji "MD2HD"
(double sided/high density/double track 96 tpi).

The Fuji formats nicely on a 7300, but that's much lower density.

Any ideas?  Thanks.
--
Peter Holsberg				UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division			CompuServe: 70240,334

rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) (12/24/87)

In article <101@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>Whenever I try to format a floppy disk on my 3B2/400, I get a verify
>error, usually on track 0, side 0.  the HOTLINE suggested changing NPROC
>in steps of 38, starting at the default 60.  NPROC = 136 let me format
>an AT&T floppy, but nothing I've tried lets me format a Fuji "MD2HD"
>(double sided/high density/double track 96 tpi).
>
>The Fuji formats nicely on a 7300, but that's much lower density.
>
>Any ideas?  Thanks.

Yeah.  Don't verify.  I had the same problem on 3b2/300's about 2
years ago.  The real killer is that you hard drive will start dropping
bits eventually.  I found that by running sum's from crontab at night
on /bin, /usr/bin, /etc, etc.  that we dropped about 1 bit per month.
The company I worked for at the time had about 25 in the field and a
field complaint of "worked yesterday, dumps core today" lead me
looking for missing bits.  In other words, I don't believe that the
machine is question was atypical.

filler.

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (12/26/87)

In article <2421@oxtrap.UUCP> rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) writes:

>Yeah.  Don't verify.  I had the same problem on 3b2/300's about 2
>years ago.  The real killer is that you hard drive will start dropping
>bits eventually.  I found that by running sum's from crontab at night
>on /bin, /usr/bin, /etc, etc.  that we dropped about 1 bit per month.
>The company I worked for at the time had about 25 in the field and a
>field complaint of "worked yesterday, dumps core today" lead me
>looking for missing bits.  In other words, I don't believe that the
>machine is question was atypical.

I tried that, but the machine wouldn't write to the non-verified floppy.
Apparently, there is a mismatch between the magnetic properties of this
Fuji disk and the magnetic abilities of the 3B2/400 read/write head.

(Why are you telling me about dropping bits from your HD?  Did I miss
something?)

Happy Holidays.