[comp.sys.att] Mysterious crashes on UNIX pc.

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (12/13/87)

A few months ago there was some discussion on mysterious crashes on
the UNIX pc.  A few people eluded in having extra login-getty's in
/etc/inittab for the window caused them to crash the machine on occasion.
Well I had these, and removed them to see if my crashes that happened
every couple of weeks of continuous running was caused by them.  Well
they're not.

Last night my machine was running fine...this morning (or afternoon)
when I woke up at 1:30pm (It was a late night for me :-) ) I hit the
space bar to wake up the screen saver ... and went to login to see
what's going on.  To my dismay, nothing I typed did anything.  The mouse
moved, but keyboard responses were nil.   It seems to be a problem with
the window manager (wmgr) ... or maybe the system manager (smgr)?  It was
1:30pm, and the clock at the top said "10:06am"... I guess that's when it
crashed.  I couldn't do anything, except to press the reset button.

Has anyone else figured out how to remedy this?  I keep my machine running
continuously... Also I'm running 3.51.

Also what are these that comes up in the /usr/adm/unix.log pretty often?

	Spurious interrupt - level 2 Sat Dec 12 16:58:51 1987

Should I be worried?

					-Lenny
--
============================ US MAIL:   Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group
 IIIII   CCC   U   U   SSSS             PO Box 1

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (12/15/87)

Well that makes two other people besides me that have reported
mysterious lock-ups of their systems.  Both times I experienced
said lock-ups the machine was idle with only the minimal daemons
running.  The status line at the bottom kept insisting "not enough
memory: close some windows".  Funny thing was that only the full
screen window was there as I wasn't running the damn user agent.
(I really dislike the user agent.)

The second time I decided to let the system sit for a while to see
if smoke would billow out or something like that.  About an hour
and a half later, I gave the space bar a tentative tap, and
discovered that the system was back to normal.

A follow-up check of the log files revealed nary a message.

The hotline folks were rather unsympathetic, and essentially said
"tough".  I'm considering insisting on a new motherboard.  If it
doens't take six weeks like getting the replacement for my DOA
documentor's workbench disk did!

--Bill

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (12/16/87)

In article <174@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>Also what are these that comes up in the /usr/adm/unix.log pretty often?
>
>	Spurious interrupt - level 2 Sat Dec 12 16:58:51 1987

These interrupts occur when your line printer is powered on and off, or
any other time the system sees enough noise on the parallel port lines.

>Should I be worried?

No.  I get 'em all the time, and haven't had a problem yet.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

allbery@axcess.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (12/21/87)

In article <174@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
+---------------
| >Also what are these that comes up in the /usr/adm/unix.log pretty often?
| >
| >	Spurious interrupt - level 2 Sat Dec 12 16:58:51 1987
|
| These interrupts occur when your line printer is powered on and off, or
| any other time the system sees enough noise on the parallel port lines.
|
| >Should I be worried?
|
| No.  I get 'em all the time, and haven't had a problem yet.
+---------------

I, however, have observed that they seem to be tied to the window manager out
of memory bug.  I haven't yet had the actual out-of-memory message happen, but
then I turn off my printer when the windaemon starts eating CPU time all of a
sudden (one of the symptoms of the bug).  I'm leaving my printer on now, just
to see if I can duplicate the hangs with the printer on (they don't happen
with the printer off, certainly).

I might suggest that you want to try moving the parallel printer cable about
in its socket; I've found that it's *very* particular about the position -- if
it's just right it works fine, otherwise it doesn't work at all or I get the
constant interrupts and windaemon starts eating CPU.
--
 ___  ________________,	Brandon S. Allbery	       cbosgd \
'   \/  __   __,  __,	aXcess Company		       mandrill|

brad@bradley.UUCP (12/28/87)

Funny, I don't have any problems.  I have a star 10x printer and
leave it off all the time.

brad