[comp.sys.att] Joy Stick for 6300+ - info request

pete@tsc.DEC.COM (Pete Schmitt) (12/26/87)

Has anyone ever connected a joystick to a 6300+?  Is there one that
connects to the mouse port on the keyboard, or do you need to
connect it to the COM1 port on the back of the machine??

--
            \\\!///		From: Pete Schmitt
             _   _ 		UUCP: ihnp4!tsc!pete

dab@whuts.UUCP (Batman) (12/28/87)

In article <260@tsc.DEC.COM>, pete@tsc.DEC.COM (Pete Schmitt) writes:
> Has anyone ever connected a joystick to a 6300+?  Is there one that
> connects to the mouse port on the keyboard, or do you need to
> connect it to the COM1 port on the back of the machine??

Also, dare any special software/drivers required as is the case with
mice?  I'd prefer to use the keyboard port, it's bound to be cheaper...

--
                 	Cogito Ergo Zoom
			Chaste makes waste

gsk@khaki (12/30/87)

i've been using one in my 6300 for years.

i'm using a true-blue IBM Game Control Adaptor card
with a C.H. Products Mach III joystick.
i bought the card at a local computer store
and the joystick by mail-order.

i'm especially pleased with the joystick:
it is extremely rugged and has an excellent feel.
(unfortunately it's also one of the most expensive)
beware, there are clones around that look similar
and have similar names, but they're not as good.

George S. Kong,  Silicon Graphics, Inc.,  (415)962-3281
gsk@sgi.com
...{decwrl,allegra,sun,adobe,ucbvax,pyramid,ames}!sgi!gsk

ccoprrd@pyr.gatech.EDU (Richard Dervan) (12/30/87)

Why don't you go out and get a game controller card?  They run about $40
and allow you to use almost any computer joustick.  Better yet, you could
get a multifunction card for about $150 with an extra serial, paralell, AND
a game port.
-Richard

--
Richard B Dervan - Office of Computing Services          | Go you fuzzy |
Georgia Insitute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332   |     Bees     |

jep@oink.UUCP (James E. Prior) (12/30/87)

In article <260@tsc.DEC.COM>, pete@tsc.DEC.COM (Pete Schmitt) writes:
> Has anyone ever connected a joystick to a 6300+?  Is there one that
> connects to the mouse port on the keyboard, or do you need to
> connect it to the COM1 port on the back of the machine??

Trackballs and rodents interface via special boards, serial ports, and
rarely keyboards.

Joysticks are a different matter.  They interface through a game controller
port.  As a separate board, it goes for about $39.95 from IBM no less.
It is often included on multifunction I/O boards.  The key term in
IBM parlance is "game controller".

For hardware hackers:  The interface in very crude.  The pots of the
joystick complete the RC part a a quad 555 timer chip.  Four timers
can handle 4 pots which can handle two (not one) joystick.  The timer
outputs are available by a simple parallel port along the button states.
The whole mess is polled.

I've never seen joystick drivers by themselves.  The've always been
part of any program that could use a joystick.
--
Jim Prior    jep@oink.UUCP    {ihnp4|cbosgd}!n8emr!oink!jep