[comp.sys.att] AT&T 6300+ clock... slow

simpsong@ncoast.UUCP (Gregory R. Simpson @ The North Coast) (12/11/87)

Hello, a friend of mine bought an AT&T 6300+ from a local
Sears Business Center recently. The clock is slow... I don't
know how much, but significantly. He has taken it back to Sears,
and each time, they replace the entire motherboard, and give it
back to him... It still doesn't work... (they've supposedly replaced
it 3 times now...)

Has anybody every heard of this problem? He's using AT&T Dos 3.2...
perhaps the problem is software related?

Any assistance would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Greg

---
      Gregory R. Simpson

Prefered  Internet: SIMPSONG%PED1.decnet@ge-crd.arpa
or
Alternate Internet: necntc!ncoast!simpsong@harvard.HARVARD.EDU

UUCP: <BACKBONE>!cbosgd!ncoast!simpsong
UUCP: {ames,mit-eddie,harvard,talcott}!necntc!ncoast!simpsong
UUCP: {well,sun,pyramid,ihnp4}!hoptoad!ncoast!simpsong
--
---
      Gregory R. Simpson

Prefered  Internet: SIMPSONG%ATD1.decnet@ge-crd.arpa
or
Alternate Internet: necntc!ncoast!simpsong@harvard.HARVARD.EDU

UUCP: <BACKBONE>!cbosgd!ncoast!simpsong
UUCP: {ames,mit-eddie,harvard,talcott}!necntc!ncoast!simpsong
UUCP: {well,sun,pyramid,ihnp4}!hoptoad!ncoast!simpsong

CSNET: ncoast!simpsong@CWRU.EDU (CSnet)

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (12/14/87)

Without the complete set of cirucmstances, I'll have to speculate a
bit.  The 6300 and 6300+ freshen up the clock battery only while
they are turned on.  I have set up many 6300s at my place of work.
The batteries are usually drained to zilch when we get the
machines.  The solution is to turn the machine on and let it run
for 24 hours straight to recharge the battery.

If the 6300 is left unused for more than about two weeks, the
battery poops out.  I guess the assumption of the designers was
that the 6300 would likely be used in a business environment where
it would get several hours of use every 5 days out of 7.

--Bill

cooper@brahms.Berkeley.EDU (Duane A. Cooper) (01/03/88)

In article <6393@ncoast.UUCP> simpsong@ncoast.UUCP writes:

>Hello, a friend of mine bought an AT&T 6300+ from a local
>Sears Business Center recently. The clock is slow... I don't
>know how much, but significantly. He has taken it back to Sears,
>and each time, they replace the entire motherboard, and give it
>back to him... It still doesn't work... (they've supposedly replaced
>it 3 times now...)
>
>Has anybody every heard of this problem? He's using AT&T Dos 3.2...
>perhaps the problem is software related?

I have no solution, but the problem sounds like mine, which I can state
in more detail:

My clock keeps EXcellent time when the system (6300+) is off.  E.g., I set
the time before I left for Xmas (9 days), and when I returned, the time
was still correct.  So the battery does not seem to be a problem.

When the system is ON, though, the MS-DOS timekeeper loses time.
For instance, I set the time just two hours ago, and now the DOS clock is
32 minutes slow while the UNIX time is correct.  However, were I to reboot
the system right now, BOTH clocks would come back 32 minutes slow.

I, too, suspect a software poblem.  The DOS clock is always wrong in
increments of minutes.  That is, when run simultaneously, the MS-DOS "time"
command and the UNIX "date" command give the same number of seconds,
differing in the minutes (and perhaps hours) columns.

Help!

				--d.c.
				[cooper@brahms.berkeley.edu]
				[ucbvax!brahms!cooper]