[comp.sys.att] mouse on 6300: 2 or 3 button?

mobo@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Samuel Wilson) (01/01/88)

It's time to spend that christmas money on a mouse for my
6300.  It seems that there are two kinds, 2 and 3 button.
Will both work on the 6300 (1.21 ROMs)?  Which is preferable?
Does anyone recommend using another vendor's mouse (logitec,
Microsoft)?

Thanks

--
Samuel Wilson         ..ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!mobo
                          mobo@sphinx.uchicago.edu

punia@uvm-gen.UUCP (Card 54...) (01/05/88)

in article <3002@sphinx.uchicago.edu>, mobo@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Samuel Wilson) says:
> It's time to spend that christmas money on a mouse for my
> 6300.  It seems that there are two kinds, 2 and 3 button.
> Will both work on the 6300 (1.21 ROMs)?  Which is preferable?
> Does anyone recommend using another vendor's mouse (logitec,
> Microsoft)?

	Logitech makes the mouse for the 6300, among others.  I used their
serial port C7 mouse (3 button) for about a year and a half with good results
and I've been using their bus version since it came out.  The only advantage
I see to buying the 2 button version from AT&T is that it'll plug right into
the keyboard.  The 3 button device gives you one more input possibility,
and Logitech's driver and supporting software is powerful and fairly easy to
use.  And for compatibity, it'll emulate the 2 button Microsoft mouse.  I've
used the included software (their "plus package") to create moving bar menu
systems for all kinds of software (even vi!), and Logitech's support BBS has
files to download for adding menus to a number of popular applications.

Mechanically, it appears to be identical (but for one more button) to the
AT&T unit.  I've cleaned the trackball once, and it rolls smoothly
on just about any reasonable surface.  It's also cheaper than much of the
competition.

Oh, and there's no problem using the 1.21 ROM's.

--
UUCPath --> ...!{linus,decvax}!dartvax!uvm-gen!punia  David T. Punia
UUCPathalias --> punia@uvm-gen.uucp                  Univ. of VT CSEE dept.

wcs@ho95e.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart) (01/09/88)

In article <675@uvm-gen.UUCP> punia@uvm-gen.UUCP (Card 54...) writes:
:	Logitech makes the mouse for the 6300, among others.  I used their
:serial port C7 mouse (3 button) for about a year and a half with good results
:and I've been using their bus version since it came out.  The only advantage
:I see to buying the 2 button version from AT&T is that it'll plug right into
:the keyboard.  The 3 button device gives you one more input possibility,
	The Logitech P7-3F mouse is a three-button version which plugs
	into the keyboard the same way the 6300 mouse does.
--
#				Thanks;
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs