[comp.sys.att] Shared Memory

daveb@pyuxf.UUCP (david berk) (01/07/88)

I know this is a silly question but.....

Could someone explain how shared memory works on the 7300
and what the advantages to using it are.

							Thanx;

							Dave Berk
							ihnp4!pyuxf!daveb

ford@crash.cts.com (Michael Ditto) (01/11/88)

In article <216@pyuxf.UUCP> daveb@pyuxf.UUCP (david berk) writes:
>Could someone explain how shared memory works on the 7300
>and what the advantages to using it are.

Shared memory is a standard feature of System V Unix; read the System V
Programmer's Manuals for detailed information.  (It's under shmop(2),
shmat(2), shmctl(2), etc.).

Shared memory is primarily useful for interprocess communication.  Several
programs (or several copies of the same program) can all have access to an
area of memory.  An example of how this might be used is a multi-player
game, where each player is running the same game program.  Each player's
process writes into the shared memory whenever that player makes a move.
The other players' programs look at the shared memory and display what move
the first player made.  The same thing could be done with a file, but files
are not as efficient, especially when small amounts of information must be
accessed very frequently.

Other IPC mechanisms include signals, pipes, message queues, and semaphores.

--

Mike Ditto					-=] Ford [=-
P.O. Box 1721					ford%kenobi@crash.CTS.COM

mark@cogent.UUCP (Captain Neptune) (01/12/88)

In article <2325@crash.cts.com> ford%kenobi@crash.CTS.COM (Michael Ditto) writes:

>In article <216@pyuxf.UUCP> daveb@pyuxf.UUCP (david berk) writes:
>>Could someone explain how shared memory works...

>Shared memory is primarily useful for interprocess communication.  Several
>programs (or several copies of the same program) can all have access to an
>area of memory...
>
>Other IPC mechanisms include signals, pipes, message queues, and semaphores.

I've been studying IPC lately, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but, I am
led to understand that some sort of locking must be employed to use
shared memory effectively.  Typically, this might be in the form of
semaphores used to insure that only one process at a time updates the
chunk of shared memory.  Reading from the chunk of shared memory might
be less demanding of such restrictions.  Is this correct and on target?
--
# Mark ###################### Ernie: Gee, Bert!  Where'd all your files go ? #
# Steven #################### Bert:  My files!  Er-r-r-r-r-r-rnie-e-e-e-e !! #